cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
In recognition of Martin Luther King Day, our Support Centers will be open with limited hours on Monday (1/20) from 10AM ET to 6PM ET.
Visit our Help Center to see all of the ways you can find answers to your questions.

Why the "best time of day to send an email" is bull.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Why the "best time of day to send an email" is bull.

best time of day.jpgI once overheard a conversation where a former co-worker told a client on the phone "No, you NEVER want to send your newsletter out on a Tuesday at 2 pm!” As I sat in my cubicle, all I could think of is “whoever is on the other end of the phone is now going to freak out every time she’s getting ready to send her newsletter.” In another scenario, I worked with a small business owner in reviewing a newsletter she put together, and said “looks great ….. you’re ready to send!” She replied, “oh no, I’m going to wait a little while before this goes out. I went to a workshop and they said I should never send an email campaign around lunchtime!”

There are hundreds of studies out there about the “best” and “worst” times to send an email to your customers, but I personally think it’s all bull to tell a small business owner that there is a right or wrong time to send his or her newsletter. Those studies may have found a specific trend among a small sample of businesses that send out their newsletter at specific times during the day, but there is no right or wrong time to send a newsletter – it all depends on who your target audience is

If you put 100 marketing professionals in a room together and asked each one of them, “when is the best time of day to send an email?”  I’d bet my life on it that they would ALL have a different answer, which is totally fine, because I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer.

What I tell my clients: you need to experiment with different days and times and see what works the best for YOUR business.

--
Lindsay Joy Higgins
CEO, Leave it to Lindsay Marketing
Tel: 781-789-2740
www.leaveittolindsay.com
1 REPLY 1
Contributing Solution Provider

Re: Why the "best time of day to send an email" is bull.

I've been hearing good things about posting on weekends.  That's what I'd recommend. 

Albert Kaufman - I am a master certified Constant Contact solution provider - here to help you make the most out of your account. Reach me @ albert@albertideation.com - here's to your success!