cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winter is not the time for your business to hibernate

Highlighted
Participating Solution Provider

Winter is not the time for your business to hibernate

P1010009.JPGOne sunny Sunday afternoon in October I loaded up my “girls” (my chief barking officer Molly and my presidential not so secret service agent Nelly) into the car for an adventure. The destination was to view the fall colors in northern Michigan. I chose M-33 to travel (the scenic route to our beloved Mackinac Bridge). 

Fall in northern Michigan is gorgeous. You certainly see nature at some of her best. It is also sad at the same time. We know what is coming. We don’t need the Starks of Winterfell to tell us “winter is coming.”

Gone are the tourists that feed many of the local residents. The business owners scale back (or even close their businesses) for the season. They hope they did well enough to survive the winter. If they planned their marketing properly they will. If not, spring won’t see them opening again.

When a business hits a slow period it is certainly not the time to hunker down for a long winter’s nap. The time can be better used to do building and equipment maintenance, or better yet, write next year’s marketing plan.

I find many small businesses don’t have a marketing plan (even business plans are none existent unless they are going for some type of business loan). They say they are too complicated to write or too time consuming. But the old adage is true. Having no plan is a plan to fail. Sadly that happens more times than not. A simple written document with some goals and how to achieve those goals is better than nothing.

The real problem is that many don’t know where to begin in writing a marketing plan. They are not difficult. They do take some time. It helps you understand your business and what is needed to make it thrive.  Check my blog at http://ksjmarketing.com/wordpress/  on December 1, 2014 for some simple steps in creating your marketing plan.

(Note: My girls waiting for their adventure. Nelly, on the left, likes to "drive"; Molly, on the right, prefers to be chauffered). IMG_20130320_183952_700.jpg

Kym Johnson
KSJ Marketing Communications
Offering marketing advantages for small businesses
Toll-free (844) 575-6584
info@ksjmarketing.com
Tags (1)