cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

With so many different methods, where should you focus your marketing efforts?

Highlighted
CTCT Employee

With so many different methods, where should you focus your marketing efforts?

There are many ways to help market your business.  You can use print, radio, TV, or social media to name a few. 

This question was posed to the New York Times Small Business Blog “You’re the Boss” and they offered some sage advice.  They recommended having a blog, social media, and mobile friendly website, to help make your job just a little bit easier.  They even state that “social media should be part of any overall marketing program.”  Some advice given was to start highlighting a project of the week, to help gain readership and get people to start looking at your social pages and/or website.  There is also a recommendation to start tracking where sales are coming from, so that you can monitor which marketing efforts are reaching your customers.  You can then start focusing on those campaigns to help get new business. 

Also keep in mind that referrals are a great way to get new business, so you might not need to look further than your current customer base.    

How many marketing efforts are you using?  Do you think having a multi-faceted approach helps?  Have you thought about setting up some type of referral program or incentive?  Do you have any positive or negative stories that you are willing to share?

Read more information here, to find out what was recommended to one reader of the “You’re the Boss Blog.”

2 REPLIES 2
Regular Advisor

Re: With so many different methods, where should you focus your marketing efforts?

Thanks Samantha!

I think marketing can be overwhelming for a lot of people. They're being hit with hundreds of methods and often the same message keeps going through their heads: "Where am I going to find the time?"

I advise people to take the same approach as they did with their business choice - find something you're passionate about. Instead of worrying about how to maximize Twitter or what promotional products to buy or how to sponsor an event and so on, you should first concentrate on "What makes me happy" and/or "What am I good at?" Statistics have proven that when we are doing something we enjoy, we'll usually work a lot harder at it and have greater results. 

Regardless of all the books and articles that tell you that you have to do this and you have to do that, the reality is, unless you can afford to farm it out, you're not going to be able to do it all no matter how hard you try. Therefore, find the marketing ideas that you enjoy and go after them 100%. You'll find your marketing paying off and you'll be having fun in the process! 

Mike Donovan
BuyGifts.com
CTCT Employee

Re: With so many different methods, where should you focus your marketing efforts?

Hello Mike!

Thanks for replying to the post, I am glad that you liked the article!  I like the points that you brought up about finding something you enjoy and/or are passionate about.  I believe it was Confucius who said "Choose a job you love, and you will never work a day in your life."