cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay - Customer acquisition after initial sale

Regular Visitor

eBay - Customer acquisition after initial sale

Anyone that sells on eBay will likely tell you that they have gone overboard with ridiculous rules, requirements and added fees. I want to steer future sales to my website instead of eBay but it's been surprisingly difficult. Any ideas?

I have tried adding 15% coupons in with the initial purchase. That was a flop. I've done free product in exchange for a survey on our website just to show them that there is a real site. That actually did ok, but not great. eBay rules prohibit use of their email address in a campaign, so I really only have the one shot when the product is delivered.

We sell everything cheaper on our site than we do on eBay simply because we need to recoup the 18% selling fees. But I'm uneasy telling an eBay customer that if they bought the same item on our site, it would have been cheaper. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sam

Tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Regular Advisor

Re: eBay - Customer acquisition after initial sale

Sam, I feel your pain. It would be nice to be able to do all this without the help of other parties being that it adds up fast. You should probably consider trying to build the traffic base to your website more, outside of eBay. You can start a blog, get more involved in social media, work on  SEO, submit your site to quality directories and even use promo products with your company branded into them to send out with your packages. There are even shopping portals like our Giftys.com that drive traffic inexpensively and would be another alternative for you.

Sales is a numbers game and it's relative to your offer with regards to supply and demand. What I'm getting at is, you might want to also re-examine what you're selling and consider modifications there as well. For example, we had two stores, Affys.com and OccupationGifts.com, that sold different types of products. We sent around the same amount of traffic to both but OccupationGifts.com did surprisingly better. This told us that perhaps the market for "funny" products was a tougher market to compete in. We knew that people liked the products and it made them laugh but we also learned that people were less likely to buy something silly over something more practical. So, if you examine your product, you might learn this applies to you too in some way and that perhaps another type of product might be easier for you to sell on your own without the assistance of a high-traffic generator like eBay. Just one idea of many. 

Mike Donovan
BuyGifts.com
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the response. Our website *is* getting the bulk of the business by far. I'd say it accounts for roughly 85% of the sales generated. But it still irritates me that I keep getting repeat orders from the same eBay customers. Normally repeat business is great, but not with a 20% profit margin after eBay/PayPal get their hooks into us. How do I get the customer that has ordered from us 20 times on eBay to realize they would have saved roughly $200 had they made their purchases on our site instead?

The problem is that buyers love eBay and just "think" it's always going to be the lowest price, so they don't look further. I can include postcards, pens, magnetic trinkets in with the order, but they are virtually ignored every time and the reorder is done on eBay. I have the same problem with Amazon. I feel like I need to sell on these two venues because my competitors are selling there as well, and it seems we're all trying to acquire customers using eBay/Amazon so the one that can switch someone over, wins the customer pretty much forever.

Sam

Regular Advisor

I hear you. Perhaps they can't be won over. Maybe they're only comfortable shopping through eBay or Amazon. Your efforts might be better spent just acquiring new customers and increasing the efforts to gaining repeat sales from them. 

Good luck!

Mike Donovan
BuyGifts.com