Occasional Participant
MarkK15

Critique my email, please!

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I've been writing my newsletter every week for the last four + years.  The look has evolved over time as I've created a "brand" that is consistent throughout our website, newsletter and all other marketing materials. 

I'm curious how it comes across though to folks seeing it for the first time.  I'd love to hear your feedback.

Click HERE to view.

Thanks in advance,

Mark Karten

HughM1
Topics: 1
Kudos: 0
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 1
Solutions: 0

Join My Mailing List

Re: Critique my email, please!

[ Edited ]

Mark,

Overall, I like it. It's clean, easy to read and very professional. 

That said, if I were going to change it I would consider the following: 

State and define the question your answering or specific problem you're addressing in youre featured letter more clearly and focus all content around addressing that one, well-defined question or problem. 

One way to do this might be to create a title for the letter. Frontload the key content as much as possible toward the top of the email and really focus everything - and I mean everything - around supporting the one, single main point you are trying to get across.  

I do hope this helps!

Hugh Macken
VMR Communications
Occasional Participant
MarkK15

Hi Hugh, Thanks for the great response, I do appreciate it.  Each issue does have a title, the link I loaded was "Paying Taxes - Delaying the Inevitable" but I don't usually repeat that within the body of my main feature.

The other features of the newsletter are standard in each issue, as these are what our readers have asked for through our previous surveys (Constant Contact surveys, of course.)

Thank you again for taking the time, your post is very helpful.

Sincerely,

Mark

Participating Solution Provider
Debi_K

Join My Mailing List

Hi Mark;

I like the simplicity of the newsletter. My initial thoughts are however a little wordy. I find that many people do not want to read that much information at once. I agree with Hugh in that titles or highlights on the questions would break it up some and allow readers to jump to the aspect that interests them most.

I also create as much of my content as possible with only a lead in to the articles, having the complete article on a website that the reader can follow to get the remainder of the article. I do this A) to break up the content and B) to track what readers are interested in - as we know one of Constant Contact's best features is the trackability of the campaigns.

Also, there is no immediate signature from you (that I noticed). People generally like to see a signature of sorts so they feel it is a little more personal, even if you are writing content for your entire staff's benefit.

Hope this helps.

Debi Katsmar (All-Star 2008, 2009, 2010 / Expert)

Your Design Vehicle

Debi Katsmar
Your Design Vehicle
905-684-6030
graphics@designsbydebik.com
2008, 2009, 2010 Constant Contact All-Star / Expert
Occasional Participant
ChrisAndTricia

Join My Mailing List

Mark -

WOW - Love the colors and it does grab you right away.  Couple things from my point of view:

I agree with the other comments about the main article being too wordy.  You have the "click here for the full story"  link out at the end of the second paragraph, I would say that you stop with the text at that point and get them over to your website (Love the site - is that an Agent Press design?) to see your listings

Cutting out that text will pull up your other article blocks

YOu should add at least 1 featured listing.  We do a lot of agent enewsletters and those ALWAYS get the most clicks and generate the most leads!

I also didn't initially know what I was supposed to do with the "The Wait is over" button - Just announcing your new website it looks like.

Hope that helps!  visit us at http://Prescottgroup.us

The Prescott Group We Make You Look Good!
Chris Prescott 612-998-5674 Chris@PrescottGroup.us
Tricia Allenson 952-212-7598 Tricia@PrescottGroup.us
Occasional Visitor
NickD3

Join My Mailing List

Just gave it a quick look to focus on first impressions....

I am not in your industry so please keep that in mind.

First thing that bothered me was the use of three different fonts in the heading

First thing I liked was your use of pictures to break up the text...also like your use of links

One thing I would add is something other than business info... cartoon, funny story, golf swing tip, recipe...something to catch the eye and slow down eye as it browses through.

Hope that helps a bit....

Nick Della Valle
Occasional Participant
MarkK15

Hi Debi,

I appreciate your feedback!  I totally understand the "wordiness" and have just started using the "read more" to move readers over to the website for my secondary stories.  I've held back from doing this with my main weekly story as I felt it was making readers jump back and forth too much between the website and newsletter.  It would be a benefit from a tracking perspective, though, which I've been missing out on.

As far as the signature goes, I do "sign" off on each week's story.  Here's my question.  If I truncate my main story to a "read more" - how do I sign off since the end is on the website?

Thanks so much,

Mark

Occasional Participant
MarkK15

Hi Chris,

Great feedback, thanks.  It's funny because my readers come back every week, so to them there's a consistency and expectation to the format.  From your perspective as a "new" reader, I totally see your point of view and understand.

"The Wait is over" was actually a countdown for the last 5 weeks as a tease (and link) to the new website.  You're right, when I feature a listing, it always gets a ton of views.

Glad you love our site, we do, too!  It is an Agent Press design that was customized by AgentEvolution.

Thank you again for the industry specific insight, much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Mark

Occasional Participant
MarkK15

Hi Nick,

Thank you, too, for your feedback.  I appreciate your thoughts on the 3 fonts in the header.  I'm having that changed today as our hands were tied because we had to incorporate 2 different logos.  Our new logo is much less busy - so that's solved.

I like your idea of non-related information within the newsletter and I've done it many, many times throughout the years.  I always use a link to track interest and it's consistently little to none, so I rarely do it.  Sometimes I don't care and figure if just one person appreciates it, I'll be happy.

Thanks so much for taking the time to critique my work!

~~ Mark

Participating Solution Provider
Debi_K

Join My Mailing List

Hi Mark;

The simplest sign off - is adding a signature box to the bottom of the email with your contact information - this way people can always find out who to contact and how at a glance. With this type of email, many people will not 'reply' to the email as so many html formatted emails will not allow this. So if you add the signature, they can simply click the link to your email or your website, or phone you if they prefer.

Deb.

Debi Katsmar
Your Design Vehicle
905-684-6030
graphics@designsbydebik.com
2008, 2009, 2010 Constant Contact All-Star / Expert