API 409 Error

Regular Participant

API 409 Error

I have a website contact form that uses the Constant Contact API and we've been having alot of errors recently. When a user fills out the contact form they get the error message "The requested URL returned error: 409". I understand that this error message is from duplicate email addresses. Is there a way to customize/change this error message so it is more meaningful?

The other issue is that if the user's email address is removed from the constant contact address list and tries to sign up on the form again with that same email address, then the error message still happens again. This should not be happening because the email address is no longer on the constant contact address list. Is there a way to resolve this issue?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Regular Participant

Another issue I've noticed is, the 409 Error message also appears when the user's email address is not on the constant contact list but exists on a completely different address list. Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Hi Mark,

Are you using an existing sample form from our website, or did you build your own connection? Also, if you have built your own, did you use our wrapper library?

Nick Galbraith
Support Engineer
Regular Participant

we are using sample code from constant contact

If you are using the Constant Contact Signup Form Generator, the download version doesn't update contacts that exist on any list in an account.  So, even if they do not exist on the list where you are trying to update contacts, the API will return a 409 error. We prevented the downloadable version of the generator from updating contacts for the reasons explained here, but if you are if you indicate that you understand and are willing to accept those risks, you can request a copy of a version that will allow updates of existing contacts.

Mark Coleman
Support Engineer
Regular Participant

Is there a way to customize or change the 409 error message? I'd like to change it so its more informative for my users to something like "Your email address is already subscribed."

The 409 error message is the response of the API.  How non-success code responses from the API are handled depends on the wrapper version and sample package, but in all of them, the response should be an XML object that can be read into a string and a conditional test for presence of 409 in the response can be used to trigger whatever error message you want to be either returned or echoed.  If you can give me the exact Wrapper or sample package (name of the package, version, and/or download url), I may be able to be more specific about where to look in the code, but basically you should follow the code to the function or method that actually makes the API request, and there you may see what you need to do.

Mark Coleman
Support Engineer
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page