The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

API form working as expected but system not sending welcome email

Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

API form working as expected but system not sending welcome email

I have a functional signup form.  But after the person signs up, CC does not send a welcome email.  I figured it was a CC controled function. 

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Employee

Re: API form working as expected but system not sending welcome email

Hey,

This is set by your submission on the XML side.  If you pass in the OptInSource value as ACTION_BY_CUSTOMER then it acts as if you added the contact which a welcome email would not be generated.  If you set it to ACTION_BY_CONTACT, then it will receive the welcome email.

Hope this helps.

Ryan Davis
Quality Engineer
Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

This worked.  thanks for the help.

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

I am having this exact same issue.  

Some guidance would be much appreciated!

Highlighted
Employee

Hey,

Please post an example of the XML that you are passing in so we can see what the issue is.

Ryan Davis
Quality Engineer
Highlighted
Occasional Participant

I am using code generated from the Signup Form Generator, and it looks like this:

<form id="ccsfg" name="ccsfg" method="post" action="/CCSFG_0.0.6/signup/index.php">

<h4>Registration Form</h4><p>To join our mailing list, please complete the information below and click 'Join My Mailing List'.</p>

<!-- ########## Email Address ########## -->
<label for="EmailAddress">Email Address</label>
<input type="text" name="EmailAddress" value="" id="EmailAddress" /><br />

<!-- ########## First Name ########## -->
<label for="FirstName">First Name</label>
<input type="text" name="FirstName" value="" id="FirstName" /><br />

<!-- ########## Contact Lists ########## -->
<input type="hidden"  checked="checked"  value="Prospects" name="Lists[]" id="list_Prospects" />
<!-- ########## Success / Failure Redirects ########## -->
<input type="hidden" name="SuccessURL" value="http://xxxxxxxxxx" />
<input type="hidden" name="FailureURL" value="http://xxxxxxxxxx" />

<input type="submit" name="signup" id="signup" value="Join My Mailing List" />

</form>	

Highlighted
Employee

Hey Afshin,

The CCSFG can do it but it requires editing the CC_Class.php file which we do not suggest. You change line 440 to:

$optin_node = $contact_node->addChild("OptInSource","ACTION_BY_CONTACT");

Be aware however that will let people remove themselves from lists as well as some security issues.  If someone knew the the email addresses of your contacts they could remove your contacts from your list because of the way it is set up.  We also have an updated version of the CCSFG that you can request by emailing webservices@constantcontact.com.

Ryan Davis
Quality Engineer
Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Editing that line of code did not work well, now the lead isn't even making it into the database.

What other options do I have for placing a simple name/e-mail capture form on my website?

Thanks,

Afshin

Highlighted
Employee

Hey Afhsin,

The contact should still be added as I have tested this on my sandbox.  However, the alternatives would be to develop your own JMML using our API which we have a php wrapper available which would allow you to customize the flow and generate the XML however you would like. 

Ryan Davis
Quality Engineer
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured