API: get the list id in ConstantContact interface

SOLVED
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

API: get the list id in ConstantContact interface

Hi,

I am looking for the lists ids in the constant contact user interface but I can't figure where it is.

I would like to find it in order to use the getList method

Helpdesk is redirecting me here, so I hope you will be able to help me :)

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: API: get the list id in ConstantContact interface

Sorry for the delay getting a response.  There is no way through our product to get the List ID numbers anymore.  The List ID number is only useful for developers who are using our API, which is why it isn't exposed in the UI anymore.

To get the List ID, you would need to use the API to make a call to get the collection of lists.  Our documentation for doing this can be found here: http://developer.constantcontact.com/docs/contact-list-api/contactlist-collection.html.  If you are using an integration developed by a 3rd party developer, I would recommend contacting the developer of that integration as there is no other way to get the list IDs.  We do not recommend any integrations developed to ask the user to provide a list ID number, they should instead provide a way to select one or more lists to the user.  If they need assistance with that, we can provide that as needed.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

No response from support by email, no response here.

Thank you, great service.

Highlighted

Sorry for the delay getting a response.  There is no way through our product to get the List ID numbers anymore.  The List ID number is only useful for developers who are using our API, which is why it isn't exposed in the UI anymore.

To get the List ID, you would need to use the API to make a call to get the collection of lists.  Our documentation for doing this can be found here: http://developer.constantcontact.com/docs/contact-list-api/contactlist-collection.html.  If you are using an integration developed by a 3rd party developer, I would recommend contacting the developer of that integration as there is no other way to get the list IDs.  We do not recommend any integrations developed to ask the user to provide a list ID number, they should instead provide a way to select one or more lists to the user.  If they need assistance with that, we can provide that as needed.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for having taken the time to respond

Highlighted

Are you effing serious? We have to write a bunch of code to get a flipping two digit number? Why not just display it somewhere on the UI? How effing hard would that be? Mainly annoyed because I can't even get your "Need an access token" button to work on your mashery page, i.e. it's broken with an unintelligible error. So basically what should take all of two seconds is now going to take me about a half hour. thank you!

Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

DaveBerard, your claim that, "The List ID number is only useful for developers who are using our API..." is not really accurate. I'm a developer and need to remove contacts from a list through the API, but I need to be specific about which list they are removed from based on activity they've performed on my website. The only way I would have of identifying a contact's "correct" list is if the ConstantContact account owner feeds the list ID it into my system to begin with.

I've performed this exact same style of integration with MailChimp and Real Magnet, both of whom permit a list to be accurately identified. I wish Constant Contact did also. Until then, it appears I'll not be able to integrate my system with Constant Contact.

Highlighted

Hello DavidS48376,

There are a few other options listed in this thread for how to get the list ID without using the API; however from what you described it sounds like you would be able to use our API to get the list IDs needed for your integration. If you would like to provide details about your process I'd be happy to see if there is some way to come up with a solution. Please send us an email at webservices@constantcontact.com.

Regards,
Jimmy D.
Tier II API Support Engineer
Highlighted
Occasional Participant

I can't imagine a reason NOT to add the list ID to the UI, especially considering how trivial it would be for you to do it.  Here's a good reason why it should be there:  Let's say I'm a developer, and I'm taking over a project where your API has been implemented to add users to a list when the user submits a form.  Now the client has a new list and wants me to have users go to that list instead.  I can clearly see where to update the list ID in the existing code, but what is the list ID of this new list???

You see, just because a developer is working with your API doesn't mean that developer has time to get to know your API, or has any good reason to.  In this scenario, having the list ID available in the UI would save a developer time, and keep them from thinking bad thoughts about Constant Contact.

You can simply add the ID as a data-id on the html element containing the list name, just as you've added your internal ID (I guess that's what that is) to the tr element.  Developers will find that quickly.  You don't have to change the look and feel of your UI.

Highlighted

Hi @ChristianM614,

This is a very good use case and I will pass this along.

Regards,
Jimmy D.
Tier II API Support Engineer
Highlighted

I completely agree. You all are not thinking like actual users, but rather developers yourselves...

Showing the id makes it easier for your customer to complete a signup form....

Enter the id of the list you would like to use.... 

Technology is not supposed to make life harder. Its supposed to make it easier for everyone.

Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Constant Contact Would Like To Hear From You!

We want to hear from customers like you about your favorite features and how they have helped your business or organization. Tell us by answering a few questions in...

Read More
Featured