cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to Dynamically Display Part of Email

Ability to Dynamically Display Part of Email

Hi All,

I have a list with users that have a range of interests (between 1 and 8). I would like to create a template that has each of the 8 interests as a Text/Image layout component. I would then like to have the Text/Image layout component removed for users that do not have the particular interest. 

So, the template would look something like this:

---

Colors of the Rainbow

Violet: Text for someone who is interested in Violet.

Indigo: Text for someone who is interested in Indigo.
Blue: Text for someone who is interested in Blue.
Green: Text for someone who is interested in Green.
Yellow: Text for someone who is interested in Yellow.
Orange: Text for someone who is interested in Orange.
Red: Text for someone who is interested in Red.

---

If someone on my list is interested in Red and Orange, their email would look like this:

---

Colors of the Rainbow

Red: Text for someone who is interested in Red.

---

While someone who is interested in Indigo, Green and Orange would receive the following:

---

Colors of the Rainbow

Indigo: Text for someone who is interested in Indigo.
Green: Text for someone who is interested in Green.
---

Is there a way to do this with the template editor or API? 

Thanks

Tammie King

Night Owl Reviews
Find a Great Book!
http://www.NightOwlReviews.com
3 REPLIES

Re: Ability to Dynamically Display Part of Email

Hello Tammie,

Thank you for reaching out to the API Support team here at Constant Contact.

In general terms the way you would add dynamic content to a custom code email is by adding custom fields to your contacts that represent these different interests, and the full code associated with them. For example, you could have a contact with a custom field representing "Indigo" and the value for that field be "<div>Text for someone who is interested in Indigo.</div>". Then you can insert that custom field into a custom coded email campaign.

While it is possible to use the API to create a custom coded HTML email with dynamic content, the limitations you would run into make an undertaking such as this very difficult.

As of right now, email campaign endpoints are only available with our v2 API. However our v2 API was designed with our older contacts system and can only see and use custom fields that follow a very specific naming convention (such as "Custom Field 1" for example). While it is possible to create custom fields with other naming formats using our website and our v3 API, the v2 API cannot see or interact with custom fields outside of that convention. Also, custom fields in our v2 API can only be a maximum of 50 characters.

Depending on how much content you are planning on including for each dynamic piece, you may not be able to do this with our v2 Contacts endpoints forcing you to add this information to contacts using the website UI or creating an additional integration with our v3 API.

If you would like assistance with creating custom coded emails with dynamic content our main support team is available to assist at 866-289-2101. If you have any questions about using our v2 or our v3 API you can post here on our forum or email us directly webservices@constantcontact.com

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Sincerely,
David B.
Tier II API Support Engineer

Hi David,

Thank you for your detailed response. It is very appreciated. Do you know if Constant Contact is planning to add dynamic blocks to the templating system? This could be such a powerful feature and enable us to do some amazing personalized campaigns.

Thanks!

Tammie King

Night Owl Reviews
Find a Great Book!
http://www.NightOwlReviews.com

Hi @nightowlromance,

At this time we do not have a feature like this on our roadmap, but I will take this suggestion and show this thread to our product managers so they know of your interest. It sounds like it would make great new feature to me!

Regards,
Jimmy D.
Tier II API Support Engineer
Still need help?
You can post a new message in the Community or find us on Twitter Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm ET. We've got real people waiting to help you out. Click below to start a conversation!