cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

Activities executed in incorrect order

All Star

Activities executed in incorrect order

Hi everybody.

 

Two days ago the script I am using to synchronize my CC lists with an external database started to behave oddly. The script first creates a Clear Contacts From Lists activity to empty the content of a particular list and then, after retrieving the list of emails from an external database, creates an Add Contacts activity adding these e-mails to the previously emptied list. I also have another script which generates a report with the status of the las 50 bulk activities. You can find the full source code of both scripts in this post.

 

The activity creation script is executed on a daily basis and has been working perfectly until three days ago when strange things started to happen:

 

I have tried generating a report including both start and finish dates of the activities to try to find out what is going on and the results are fascinating. The report is too long to display here so I send it as an attachment. Here is what has happened:

 

  • The Clear Contacts From Lists (CCFL) activity has always been created before the Add Contacts (AD) activity, as expected.
  • Before April 19th everything was working fine, with CCFL beginning execution first, and AD beginning execution after completion of CCFL.
  • April 19th: no activity was created.
  • Beginning April 20th: activities are apparently sorted grouped by type instead of by creation date as before.
  • April 20th: CCFL begins execution first, but before completion, AD begins execution.
  • April 21th: AD begins execution first, and before completion, CCFL begins execution.
  • April 22th: AD executes first and after completion, CCFL begins execution.

So three consecutive days, three different behaviours (and all of them unwanted!). Has there been any change in the API I am unaware of, causing this unpredictable behaviour?

 

Thanks for the replies.

 

--

Salva

 

3 REPLIES 3
Moderator

Re: Activities executed in incorrect order

Thanks for sending this over.  We recently did some updates to the import process to get performance improvements and to fix errors that customers were reporting.  We'll take a look and see if this was an inadvertant side effect of the change. 

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
Highlighted
All Star

Re: Activities executed in incorrect order

Hi Dave.

 

I assume that something has been done on this issue. The bulk activities executed since April 24 do not appear in the list when you go to Contats->Activity in the web page, and the error messages received when executing the getActivities function in PHP, which where missing when all these strange things began to happen, are back again.

 

--

Salva

Moderator

Re: Activities executed in incorrect order

Hi Salva,

 

Sorry for the slow update time.  I was unfortunately traveling last week and wasn't able to post as much as I usually can.  We found the cause of the problem (which has to do with our updates to our new Contact Management system).  We backed out the changes as we resolve the bug we found and are working on a solution now.

 

As for the missing error messages, our new Contact Management platform does not provide detailed error messaging on imports today.  This is a feature that will be coming in the future and when we put these updates back in, these error messages will no longer be returned.  We have escalated this to our Contact Management team as a critical feature we need to add in as our developers count on this.  At this time, I can't share when we will get that feature added but we're hoping that it is sooner rather than later.

 

Also want to clarify what we are rolling out, it will be in our next set of release notes but here is a sneak peak.  As mentioned in some other threads, we are having some performance issues with our bulk imports on our new Contact Management system. We are in the process of building an entirely new bulk import service that uses that same import flow as our new Contact Management UI.  We had rolled that out last week but ran into some synchronous processing issues as reported by you in this thread.  We are resolving those issues and then will roll this new import service back out to developers.  It will have all of the same features and performance as our new UI import flows.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact