Between 8:00 - 9:00 am ET on 10/25 we need to take our site down to make updates. We recommend logging out before 8:00am ET and not using your account during this time. Thank you for your patience while we make these important updates.

Adaptive designs and the use of media queries in emails

Participant

Adaptive designs and the use of media queries in emails

I wanted to check, how the CC service handles HTML emails. Specifically, what limitations does the service have in regards to adaptive designs and the use of media queries in emails.

7 REPLIES 7

Hi Sai,

Thanks for posting your question. The only things that you can add to your emails with us is html or xml (property tags that pull in custom fields".  If you try to put in Javascript or PHP, not only will our system reject it but other email clients won't display it and will likely send it to the Spam folder or not deliver it at all.

I hope I answered your question.  

We do support including media selectors and other CSS attributes in the body of an HTML or XHTML email.  However, the support of these tags in many email clients, both mobile and web, is not broadly adopted.  It will be very hit or miss which attributes are supported in which clients and you should do testing in all email clients (web and mobile) you expect your readers to be loading these emails in to ensure that your email is displaying as you expect it to.  It's very important to understand that email clients are notorious for being far more limited and behind in HTML and CSS support especially when compared to modern web browsers. 

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact

It appears you do not support media queries in your Templates.  The @media tags are stripped from the stylesheet.  Is there anywhere in the settings to allow the media tag?

You do allow them in completely custom code, but that is not an option at the moment.

Thanks,

Coty

Hello Coty,

You are correct in your assessment that media queries are not currently supported by our New Wizard email editor and there is not an option to allow them at this time. If you woud like, I can submit feedback and a feature request to our product team on your behalf..

Sincerely,

Elijah G.

Tier 2 Support

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Occasional Participant

Ugh. Just spent a ton of time developing our email campaign and optimizing it for mobile using media queries. Very disappointing to learn that it won't work in Constant Contact.

Regular Participant

So did you submit that feedback? Years later, we're still waiting for this...

Hello,

First, I'd like to thank you for your feedback on this! Our team has been hard at work taking steps to make our users emails look better and work better for users that are viewing them on mobile devices. With our current generation editing experience, we have introduced a large number of templates that are specifically optimized for mobile viewing, so that we do not have to pass on the requirement to build media queries. You can identify these templates when you're creating a new campaign by looking for the mobile icon shown here:

MobileIcon

In addition, our new third-generation editing experience that is currently in beta testing has mobile responsiveness built in from the start, so that all emails in any template will look great on a desktop/notebook and mobile devices.

If you'd still prefer to build an email using media queries that you've personally designed, the best option that's available would be to create a custom code email where you can define your own CSS and HTML without restrictions to give you complete control over the entire email.

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page