Adding a new contact to my account

SOLVED
Go to solution
Regular Participant

Adding a new contact to my account

This link http://community.constantcontact.com/t5/Documentation/Adding-a-Contact/ba-p/25121 talks about how to add a contact. But, this seems to conflict with information I have previously received that says the status is a read only field.  Additionally, it seems to me that this may not address what is required to get a contact set up in the first place as it appears to be about how to add contacts to a list once the contact is already setup.

Do I really just have to do a PUT on the xml shown to set up a contact initially and add them to a list at the same time?

Thanks in advance,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The documentation you are referencing is for updating an existing Contact to change their list membership.  I notice in the documentation it does talk extensively about the restrictions on OptInSource when manipulating a Contacts List memberships when the lists in question are public or private, but I'm not sure where there is mention of the Status node.

Status is a read-only field that has optional values of Active, Removed, Do Not Mail or Awaiting Confirmation.  These statuses simply represent in a summary method some attributes of a Contact record.  For example, Active means that a Contact is a current member of one or more lists and will be applicable for billing purposes.  Removed means the opposite, they are not a member of any lists and thus not elligable for billing.  Do Not Mail is permanently unsubscribed.  Awaiting Confirmation is a seldom seen state that only happens if you have Confirmed Opt In (Double Opt In) enabled for your account.  It just requires a Contact to confirm their subscription via a confirmation email before they considered Active and able to receive emails.

For details on how to create a Contact, rather than update, I would recommend this documentation: http://community.constantcontact.com/t5/Documentation/Creating-a-Contact/ba-p/25059

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

The documentation you are referencing is for updating an existing Contact to change their list membership.  I notice in the documentation it does talk extensively about the restrictions on OptInSource when manipulating a Contacts List memberships when the lists in question are public or private, but I'm not sure where there is mention of the Status node.

Status is a read-only field that has optional values of Active, Removed, Do Not Mail or Awaiting Confirmation.  These statuses simply represent in a summary method some attributes of a Contact record.  For example, Active means that a Contact is a current member of one or more lists and will be applicable for billing purposes.  Removed means the opposite, they are not a member of any lists and thus not elligable for billing.  Do Not Mail is permanently unsubscribed.  Awaiting Confirmation is a seldom seen state that only happens if you have Confirmed Opt In (Double Opt In) enabled for your account.  It just requires a Contact to confirm their subscription via a confirmation email before they considered Active and able to receive emails.

For details on how to create a Contact, rather than update, I would recommend this documentation: http://community.constantcontact.com/t5/Documentation/Creating-a-Contact/ba-p/25059

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact

View solution in original post

Regular Participant

Thanks, I was pretty sure that wouldn't actually work to add a contact initially.

Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page