Adding a new contact to my account

SOLVED
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Adding a new contact to my account

This link http://community.constantcontact.com/t5/Documentation/Adding-a-Contact/ba-p/25121 talks about how to add a contact. But, this seems to conflict with information I have previously received that says the status is a read only field.  Additionally, it seems to me that this may not address what is required to get a contact set up in the first place as it appears to be about how to add contacts to a list once the contact is already setup.

Do I really just have to do a PUT on the xml shown to set up a contact initially and add them to a list at the same time?

Thanks in advance,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Adding a new contact to my account

The documentation you are referencing is for updating an existing Contact to change their list membership.  I notice in the documentation it does talk extensively about the restrictions on OptInSource when manipulating a Contacts List memberships when the lists in question are public or private, but I'm not sure where there is mention of the Status node.

Status is a read-only field that has optional values of Active, Removed, Do Not Mail or Awaiting Confirmation.  These statuses simply represent in a summary method some attributes of a Contact record.  For example, Active means that a Contact is a current member of one or more lists and will be applicable for billing purposes.  Removed means the opposite, they are not a member of any lists and thus not elligable for billing.  Do Not Mail is permanently unsubscribed.  Awaiting Confirmation is a seldom seen state that only happens if you have Confirmed Opt In (Double Opt In) enabled for your account.  It just requires a Contact to confirm their subscription via a confirmation email before they considered Active and able to receive emails.

For details on how to create a Contact, rather than update, I would recommend this documentation: http://community.constantcontact.com/t5/Documentation/Creating-a-Contact/ba-p/25059

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

The documentation you are referencing is for updating an existing Contact to change their list membership.  I notice in the documentation it does talk extensively about the restrictions on OptInSource when manipulating a Contacts List memberships when the lists in question are public or private, but I'm not sure where there is mention of the Status node.

Status is a read-only field that has optional values of Active, Removed, Do Not Mail or Awaiting Confirmation.  These statuses simply represent in a summary method some attributes of a Contact record.  For example, Active means that a Contact is a current member of one or more lists and will be applicable for billing purposes.  Removed means the opposite, they are not a member of any lists and thus not elligable for billing.  Do Not Mail is permanently unsubscribed.  Awaiting Confirmation is a seldom seen state that only happens if you have Confirmed Opt In (Double Opt In) enabled for your account.  It just requires a Contact to confirm their subscription via a confirmation email before they considered Active and able to receive emails.

For details on how to create a Contact, rather than update, I would recommend this documentation: http://community.constantcontact.com/t5/Documentation/Creating-a-Contact/ba-p/25059

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, I was pretty sure that wouldn't actually work to add a contact initially.

Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact Would Like To Hear From You!

We want to hear from customers like you about your favorite features and how they have helped your business or organization. Tell us by answering a few questions in...

Read More
Featured