cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allowing multiple opt in

Occasional Contributor

Allowing multiple opt in

I will be offering two seperate downloads to get opt ins on my website.  I will have an opt in form (that I create using api) and add to a page on my webiste. If they want the download they will need to opt in.  Each download is on different subjects and so someone might want both downloads.  I need for them to be able to sign up for both.  Right now if they have already opted in on one form it gives an error that says "Account already Exsist"  I need a work around that will let them sign up and it will just update their information if they have already opted in.  Is that possible?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Allowing multiple opt in

Hi Susan,

Using our API features it is possible to update an existing Contact.  This would be taking the information someone already has submitted to you and just updating it with additional data, such as another list membership or changing their name.  The error message your seeing seems to be something that was set up in your integration to only create new Contacts, not updating existing ones.

I would recommend having your developer updating your integratino to have htem update the information with whatever additional or changes that are being added for the 2nd signup form.

Please note, a Welcome email will not be generated when the Contact is updated.  Their information will simply be updated and any confirmation or follow up would need to be part of your website flow after they sign up.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
Occasional Contributor

It would probably be better then to set up 2 lists one for the first dowload and then another for the 2nd download.  I did learn how to do that in the php code where it will sign them up to one list or the other.  

Question, if they have signed up for one list and then sign up for another list, will they get that same error message?  Can they add a new contact to each list?

It may be easier to answer this by explaining how our API and features work more.  This will probably clarify and give you the answer to your question.

In Constant Contact, a Contact is a record of your subscriber with a unique email address.  A Contact has many attributes, such as first name, last name and other demographics and data.  They also have attributes of what Interest Lists they belong to.  A Contact can be a member of one or more lists and be considered Active, no lists and be considered Removed (does not count for billing) or they could have unsubscribed and would be considered Do Not Mail status.

A List is a collection of Contacts that have been assigned to that specific interest list.  A Contact can be on multiple lists but can only exist on once per list (no duplicates). 

A Contact can only be created one time.  Once it is created, forever forward you would need to update that Contact's attributes.  As mentioned above, the attributes include their List memberships. 

In your scenario, you can only create the Contact when they request their first paper.  After that, you will need to update them to change their list memberships to include not only the first list but also the second list.  In this way, they would then be signed up for both lists. 

Hope this clarifies and helps.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact