There is a known issue causing API requests to fail without producing an error. If the API request includes custom fields it will return a 2xx response code but your contact will not be added to your CC account. This has been occurring since Oct. 5th at least. This was noted by a CC Mod in the thread below:
I am also getting this response intermittently when using the API:
Service Unavailable: Back-end server is at capacity 503
My client is suffering from the same issue. All API requests sent to CC from our website since Oct. 5th have not been added to our CC account. We have lost multiple new contacts due to this issue as the contacts are primarily stored in CC. The only option to many of them into CC now is to manually create a list from individual emails sent to the contact. Guess I'll have to store the contacts elsewhere as CC is apparently not reliable.
I'm also intermittently getting this response from the CC API: Service Unavailable: Back-end server is at capacity 503. WTH?
Additionally, the API returns a success message so an API integration will think it's working even though it's not. THE API DOES NOT RETURN AN ERROR CODE! Why was there no notification about this issue sent to developers or a sticky post noting this issue in this forum? I had to drill into threads here to find this post. FFS, I just spent 5 hours troubleshooting this issue, finally determining it was an issue with the custom fields. I can confirm that removing the custom fields seems to fix the issue.
I want a credit for at least the last month of service! Not happy!
Thank you for reaching out to the API Support team here at Constant Contact.
The error at the linked thread is one that only affects our older V1 API (which is deprecated), and in that case the contacts are not created and the API does return an error; a 400 response. If you are using our current V2 API and/or are seeing a 2xx response then this would not be due to that issue.
Can you provide us with a bit more information about when you see a 2xx response and the contact is not created?
What endpoint are you using when this happens?
What is the name of the custom field you are using that is not getting added to the contact?
What was the date and time you most recently saw this?
Also, regarding the 503 error you are seeing:
What call(s) are you making when you see this error?
What day and time did you most recently see this response?
Tier II API Support Engineer
Thanks for the reply. My apologies for my frustration but the last two weeks have found me dealing with multiple failures and issues at CC. I have other priorities but I can give you some details.
I am using the older v1 for this client as they have been using it for some time, for simplicity, and legacy issues. Soon, I will either reintegrate with v2 or with another ESP. I've been waiting patiently for v3 but it seems to be taking quite some time and I'm concerned that it apparently does not include features like tag management, a critical feature for filtering and managing contacts in the UI and when sending campaigns. Do you have an ETA for API v3?
I called support multiple times yesterday about this and other issues when I realized not contacts were stored by CC since Oct. 5th. Specifically, I was receiving a 200 response when testing updating a contact with the API. I've made changes now to correct the issues and I'm not able to repeat it.
The basic endpoint being used is: https://api.constantcontact.com/ws/customers/...
The custom fields are named CustomField1,4, and 5.
This was seen during testing yesterday afternoon at multiple times.
Regarding the 503 errors, I can't be sure about the time as I did not note it, but they were returned between 2:00-4:00 PM PDT yesterday, Oct. 12th, while I was testing and troubleshooting options to fix the error where contacts were not being added to CC since the 5th.
I was performing the standard calls to POST a new contact, GET an existing contact, and PUT to update a contact.
I'd note that I am also struggling to perform the client required integrations and management due to the additional shortcomings/issues outlined below. If these are fixed in v2 or v3 please let me know.
Unable to GET a list of custom fields via the API
Unable CRUD custom fields with actual names via the API
Unable to use dynamic links in emails to track anything outside CC in v3 of the editor
When bulk editing lists or contacts, unable to see current tags or lists in UI
Our v3 API does not yet have an ETA. We are working towards a limited beta soon. This not open to the public, but a few select Constant Contact partners and individuals. However let me go over what is or is not covered with the v3 API. I've added my comments in to your quote below.
Unable to GET a list of custom fields via the API (this ability will be in v3 API)
Unable CRUD custom fields with actual names via the API (this ability will be in v3 API)
- Unable to manage tags via the API (this ability will be in v3 API)
Unable to use dynamic links in emails to track anything outside CC in v3 of the editor (this is something that is an issue with our 3g editor not with the API and we are working towards a solution)
When bulk editing lists or contacts, unable to see current tags or lists in UI (this ability will be in the v3 API)
- When performing advanced searches in the UI, the results returned do not seem accurate according to the filters applied. (While this has nothing to do with the API there are certain situations we are aware of that can cause incorrect results with the advanced search; if you have already spoken to our support agents about this I'm sure they are on top of looking in to this. If you have not spoken to them about this specific issue you may want to reach out to them again for this specific issue.)
If you have any other questions feel free to leave a reply.