cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
In recognition of Martin Luther King Day, our Support Centers will be open with limited hours on Monday (1/20) from 10AM ET to 6PM ET.
Visit our Help Center to see all of the ways you can find answers to your questions.

Bounce service not return Email Address

Occasional Contributor

Bounce service not return Email Address

Hi,

I am using Constant Contact V2 Service to fetch all the activity.

But "Contacts/contactId/tracking/bounces" not return Email Address for some contacts.

Thanks

Alok Srivastava

4 REPLIES 4
Occasional Contributor

Re: Bounce service not return Email Address

Hi,
I am using Constant Contact V2 Service to fetch all the activity.

But "Contacts/contactId/tracking/bounces" not return Email Address for some contacts.

{
"meta": {
"pagination": {}
},
"results": [{
"activity_type": "EMAIL_BOUNCE",
"campaign_id": "1121932604019",
"contact_id": "2643",
"bounce_code": "S",
"bounce_description": "Suspended",
"bounce_message": "",
"bounce_date": "2015-08-13T15:49:00.000Z"
}]
}

For Some contacts the service returns the Email address:

{

"campaign_id": "1121601143015",

"contact_id": "72",

"email_address": "brents@mitchellreedinsurance.com",

"bounce_code": "D",

"bounce_description": "Undeliverable",

"bounce_date": "2015-07-19T16:18:00.000Z"

},
Honored Contributor

Hello,

After taking a look at this, the reason that you're not seeing any email address associated with this bounce is because the email address that was associated with contact "2643" no longer exists. After a bit of investigation, I found that contact had their email address updated after the date of the bounce was recorded.

When an email address is changed, that internally creates a new email address with a unique ID and removes the old address. Because of this, the system is unable to fetch the email address associated with the bounce and display it. While this makes sense as to why it happens, I am going to chat with the product team on our side to see if this is the desired behavior, since we don't have a good way to indicate that the contact no longer has an email address under this endpoint.

I will plan to follow up here once I have some additional information!

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Elijah G.
When i am calling the V1 service for Bounce records, it returns the Email address in the output. this issue is only in V2 service output.

Also the V2 service method "contacts/contactId/tracking" returns the Email address in output:
Constant Contact I/O Docs
"results": [{
"campaign_id": "1121932604019",
"contact_id": "2643",
"email_address": "dstewart@alaskausainsurance.com",
"bounce_code": "S",
"bounce_description": "Suspended",
"bounce_date": "2015-08-13T15:49:00.000Z"
},
But "/contacts/contactId/tracking/bounces" service not returns the Email Address of some bounce records.

Honored Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for this info! After digging into this a bit deeper, I was able to identify that there is a minor difference in how the data is displayed when you call /tracking/bounces instead of just /tracking. I've written this up so that we can work on getitng this straightened out, as we want to make sure that the different endpoints of the API are consistent. 

I don't yet know the timeframe for getting this fixed, as we're still finalizing some of the investigation work. Please feel free to check in for updates, and let me know if you have any questions!

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer