Buk Activities

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Buk Activities

I'm writing a set of API routines to maintain contacts based on subscribers we have in another database. I do not wish to violate the T&C.

As far as I can tell, these are the only Bulk Activities:

ADD_CONTACTS, SV_ADD, ADD_CONTACT_DETAIL, REMOVE_CONTACTS_FROM_LISTS, CLEAR_CONTACTS_FROM_LISTS, EXPORT_CONTACTS.

So, I would guess that if you are not doing any of these actions, you cannot violate the T&C by doing single API calls such as searching for a contact by email address or adding a list. Is this correct?

Finally, what is the difference between ADD_CONTACTS and SV_ADD? Why is SV_ADD not an Allowed Value for Deleting an Activity if it is an allowed value for creating one?

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
CTCT Employee

Re: Buk Activities

As far as violating our T&C, our biggest concern is that contact forms that are meant to submit 1 contact at a time, are done by using the Contacts Collection. You can find more information about this in Creating a Contact. If you anticipate your process to be adding approximately 25 contacts or more at a time, we would prefer that you use the our bulk activities collection. There is no way to create a list through bulk activities, so if you needed to create a number of contact lists at once you can certainly make those single API requests.

Regarding searching for a contact, you can actually append up to 50 email addresses as query parameters which will allow you to search multiple addresses in a single request. For example: 

https://api.constantcontact.com/ws/customers/{user-name}/contacts?email=jon@example.com&email=mary@example.com&email=tim@example.com

Regarding SV_ADD and ADD_CONTACTS, I am not positive what the difference between these two are. I am going to do some research into this and get back to you, but from a user standpoint they both perform the same operation. In addition, even if you submit the activity type as ADD_CONTACT, if the system determines that details are presented with the contact email addresses it will automatically use the ADD_CONTACT_DETAIL activity type.

Finally, in regards to deleting an activity - this is not an operation that we allow at this time, so any of the activity types used for creating an activity would not be allowed for removing one.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns regarding this. Thanks.

David J

Highlighted
CTCT Employee

Re: Buk Activities

I just wanted to follow up on SV_ADD vs ADD_CONTACTS. SV_ADD was the older activity type that was originally created when the bulk activity API was released. Since then we have renamed it to the more appropriate 'ADD_CONTACTS', however we left SV_ADD as a valid activity type to maintain backwards compatibility.  

David J

Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact Would Like To Hear From You!

We want to hear from customers like you about your favorite features and how they have helped your business or organization. Tell us by answering a few questions in...

Read More
Featured