Bulk Activity Error - Repost

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Bulk Activity Error - Repost

This is a repost. All replied were spam with nothing from CC.

Whenever I submit a bulk activity like:

activityType=SV_ADD

&data=Email+Address%0A

xxxx.xxx%40axline.com%0A

yyyy%40xe.com.cn

&lists=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.constantcontact.com%2Fws%2Fcustomers%2Fmyuser%2Flists%2F8

the activity completes as expected and all the desired emails get added to the list. (addresses sanitized, line feeds added for this post)

However, it always reports:

Number of Contacts: 3

Number of Errors: 1

Invalid Email Addresses: email address (invalid format)

It seems to be interpreting the first part of the data argument as an email address? I thought it was interpreted as field names.

As I said, everything expected happens but this error is annoying.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
CTCT Employee

Re: Bulk Activity Error - Repost

This is saying that there is an error because of the line breaks between %0A and the next email address. Since %0A is a new line character, the actual line break you have is causing a blank line between each email address. As a blank line is not a valid email address, it is throwing an error for each of those lines. If you were to remove those line breaks and post this as 1 string, those errors should disappear.

It is also going to throw an error for the actual &data=Email+Address, as we always assume if there is only one column that it is an email address. Unfortunately I am not seeing any way to avoid that particular error. If you were supplying another field of data such as first name, this would not cause an error.

David J

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Line Breaks

The line breaks are not actually there so I'm not experiencing any of that kind of error.

Do I really need the field name line since I'm only supplying email address. If I dropped that line, would it work? Then, the error would not be present.

Vernon

Highlighted
CTCT Employee

Re: Line Breaks

I do not believe that you will be able to get the activity to successfully be created without the line containing the field name, so I do not think that would be an option unfortunately.  

David J

Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact Would Like To Hear From You!

We want to hear from customers like you about your favorite features and how they have helped your business or organization. Tell us by answering a few questions in...

Read More
Featured