Bulk activity Vs Customer list collection

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Bulk activity Vs Customer list collection

Hi,

I want to download the list of customers who changed their subscription options (using the unsubscribe link in the footer of the email) and update my database for updating information on my website.  I have a question on the same.

The blog says "The Activities resource is designed to be used only with large sets of contacts (ie. 25 or more). To manage individual contacts or small sets of contacts, use the Contacts Collection API resource." In my case the set of contacts is supposed to have entries around 20 to 30. I would like to know if there is a solution for handling this border case.

On the same lines I would like to know when to use Contact list collection and when to use Bulk Activity for the same purpose.

Please let me know if someone can put a light on this query. I will be grateful.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

If you are syncing only

If you are syncing only contacts which have been updated in a recent time period, the best option you have is to use our Contacts Collection resource.  The Bulk Activity collection will return to you all of your Unsubscribes, so the list will continue to grow over time.  The Contacts Collection has a filter option which allows you to specify time range, which will cut down the volume of contacts to what you really want.  You can find out more about this option here: Contacts Collection

RE Bulk Activity restrictions - The reason we have this restriction is more as a way to make sure that the Bulk Activity is used correctly, not to tell people that they can not use the Contacts Collection for more than 25 contacts.  The reason the Bulk Activity can be beneficial over the Contacts Collection at times is for large uploads where there is no need to get back information or for large exports.  Syncing is still best done using Contacts Collection regardless of the size of the expected imports.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Thanks for clarification

Thanks for clarification dave.

Is this the only option that my system has to request for the update information?

Or can I also get updated information from Constant contact everytime the user updates his/her profile/preferences?

Highlighted

The only auto-updates we

The only auto-updates we offer would be daily email notifications of new sign ups (only ACTION_BY_CONTACT ones, not CUSTOMER) and updated profiles (with action ACTION_BY_CONTACT, not CUSTOMER).  This is in an HTML format and just lists who updated/added themselves.  We do not offer any API push type features currently.  Since we implement a RESTful API it is also unlikely that we will have a push notification as that is not generally part of a truly RESTful API.  I will pass this feedback on to our Development team though.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact Would Like To Hear From You!

We want to hear from customers like you about your favorite features and how they have helped your business or organization. Tell us by answering a few questions in...

Read More
Featured