Bulk add contacts to a list (even if contacts are in the Do Not Mail list)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Regular Participant

Bulk add contacts to a list (even if contacts are in the Do Not Mail list)

Hi,

Is there a way to bulk add people to a list even if they are in the Do Not Mail list?

We have a bunch of contacts who opted out before but are wanting to be added back to a list.  It seems there is no way to do this through the regular UI (please correct me if I'm wrong, if there is a way then this problem is solved) so we are to go with the API route.

I know we can change individual contact's list subscription by using ACTION_BY_CONTACT but is there anything like that for bulk adds?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Employee

Hey,

The bulk load activity is always set to ACTION_BY_CUSTOMER..  The reason why we would not allow the bulk activity is that these users have taken action to be opted out of your list and they need to take the action to be able to subscribe again.  Thus using a contact form or the Join my mailing list from with in your account.  By taking this action yourself and they mark you as spam or unsubscribe this would violate the CAN-Spam act as well as our TOS. 

We definitely want to help you get your contacts subscribed back in, so what I would suggest is sending them an email from outside of Constant Contact and give them a link to a form where they can take the action themselves.  Thus the ACTION_BY_CONTACT is required. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Ryan Davis
Quality Engineer

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Employee

Hey,

The bulk load activity is always set to ACTION_BY_CUSTOMER..  The reason why we would not allow the bulk activity is that these users have taken action to be opted out of your list and they need to take the action to be able to subscribe again.  Thus using a contact form or the Join my mailing list from with in your account.  By taking this action yourself and they mark you as spam or unsubscribe this would violate the CAN-Spam act as well as our TOS. 

We definitely want to help you get your contacts subscribed back in, so what I would suggest is sending them an email from outside of Constant Contact and give them a link to a form where they can take the action themselves.  Thus the ACTION_BY_CONTACT is required. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Ryan Davis
Quality Engineer

View solution in original post

Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page