cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bulk download activity: empty lists and errors

Bulk download activity: empty lists and errors

I've just started working with the v2 bulk activities API, and I've started by attempting to download a contact list. Unfortunately, I've run into a pair of strange problems.

1. When I set export_date_added and export_added_by to false, the bulk process completes and indicates all the contacts have been processed, but I get an empty CSV file. Here's the JSON request:

{
  "file_type": "CSV",
  "sort_by": "EMAIL_ADDRESS",
  "export_date_added": false,
  "export_added_by": false,
  "lists": [
    "<some valid list number>"
  ],
  "column_names": [
    "EMAIL",
    "FIRST NAME",
    "LAST NAME",
    "custom field 1"
  ]
}

I've tried different capitalizations on column_names with, naturally, no effect. The strange part is that I see the activity in the UI, but I get the same empty file if I click on the download link there.

2. Using the same JSON as above, if I set export_date_added and export_added_by to true, the export process errors out with an empty errors array, to wit:

{
"id":"7a03e5a0-62d5-11e5-b48c-d4ae52843aae",
"type":"EXPORT_CONTACTS",
"status":"ERROR",
"errors":[],
"start_date":"2015-09-24T16:01:30.000Z",
"finish_date":"2015-09-24T16:01:30.000Z",
"created_date":"2015-09-24T16:01:11.000Z",
"error_count":0,
"contact_count":4576
}

Am I missing something here? The list has e-mail address, first names, and last names. It doesn't have custom field 1 set, but excluding it from column_names has no effect and I observe the same behavior.

5 REPLIES 5
Honored Contributor

Re: Bulk download activity: empty lists and errors

Hello,

Thank you for reporting what you're seeing here! After looking into this, it looks like there's an issue with with a service that we rely on to create these activities, which is resulting in empty exports or errors. I will be working with the team here to find the source of the problem and work to get it resolved as quickly as possible.

Please feel free to reply here if you have any questions!

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Has this issue been resolved?  We are experiencing the same issue on our site but using the v1 API.  The activity gets created correctly and shows an initial status of queued but then we check the status again it shows error.

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Hello,

Are you able to provide a sample of how you are creating the activity? You would want to anonymize the data (replace/remove all instances of your username for example), but that would help me to investigate the cause of the failure. The original report was specific to the V2 API and it's very possible that your problem may be something unrelated.

As for the original issue in V2, the problem appears to be happening because some fields are not being properly handled with regards to case-insensitivity. This can be worked around until we are able to get a fix out by using the field names exactly as shown in the sample JSON here: http://developer.constantcontact.com/docs/bulk_activities_api/bulk-activities-export-contacts.html

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Occasional Participant

Elijah_G, I created a new thread instead of piggy-backing off of this one.

https://community.constantcontact.com/t5/Developer-Support-ask-questions/ERROR-status-when-exporting...

Honored Contributor

Thanks! I posted some information for you in that thread.

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer