C# integration bulk insert and CSV files

Occasional Participant

C# integration bulk insert and CSV files

What method do you use to allow commas in a field to be uploaded using the bulk upload activity from a file. 
I am using the "ContactstMultipartActivity" method and if a field has a comma in it, it push data to the next column. I tried placing "" around the field in the file but it didn't resolve the problem. 

Also, are excel files supported in the method above? I tried a couple of excel files, however, I get a message only 4 file types are supported, txt, cvs, xls and xlsx files. I tried 3 different spreadsheet formats in excel, with extensions xls and xlsx. 

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3

Hello @KarenO65,

I do not have C# code written to submit a multi part file; however I do have what it should look like if you use a RESTful client such as Postman. Here is a screenshot of submitting an .xlsx file.

multi part file post xlsx.jpg

Regards,
Jimmy D.
Tier II API Support Engineer
Occasional Participant

From your Constant Contact Developer Sample Library page: https://developer.constantcontact.com/libraries/sample-code.html

There is a link to the CTCT Wrapper as a project.  https://github.com/constantcontact/.net-sdk

In that project, there is a method called:  ContactstMultipartActivity. 

I am using this to do the bulk insert from a file. 

Also, I tested a xlsx file with you web site import process, and it worked. When I tried it with the code it said the file was not the correct type.

Here is the issue with importing with CSV: The issue is that the data in columns from our database sometimes contains data. For example, some times a phone field will have a the number as 800-888-8888, 23. Some people will use a , to separate the extension from the number. Or a company name will have a comma in the field example Greg and Sons, Inc. In these two examples, is there a way to use an escape code in C# that would allow me to replace the comma in the string to another value, that would not separate the information in another column. I am writing an integration project in C# using your CTCT wrapper project to assist in the development.

Hello @KarenO65,

We don't currently have a C# developer on staff and my skills are a bit rusty; however from what I was able to locate there are a few options when trying to escape a character in C#. I do not know which one of these options would work the best for you though.

You can try just the basics of escaping by adding a backslash in front of the comma. example: \, (this is the least likely to work)

You can try the unicode hex value. Unicode UTF-16: 002c

You can also try what is known as verbatim escaping where you place an @ at the beginning of the text and surround the text by " ".

Again I am not a C# developer; this is just information I was able to locate in an internet search so it may or may not be helpful in this situation.

Regards,
Jimmy D.
Tier II API Support Engineer
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page