We all started somewhere! Share your experience on the Get Advice: Let's Get Started Sweepstakes thread and be entered to win a $100 credit on your Constant Contact account.

Can I use the Event API for this?

LouisN
Occasional Participant

Can I use the Event API for this?

My website tracks people that vote for Ron Paul in the primaries. Many thousands of people might come to my website and indicate they voted for him.

My site has requests information like their name, address, etc. and lets them know to expect a confirmation email.

When they do, I need to send an email confirming they are people to their email address. This email will contain a link which they can click on verifying they are a real person. This is the ONLY email my site will EVER send. Can I the Event API to handle the outgoing email? I see you have an API I can call from C#, that seems to be exactly what I need.

Thanks,

Louis

3 REPLIES 3
DaveBerard

You can use our standard opt in flow to generate this email.  You would just need to turn the "Confirmed Opt-In" setting to "On" in your My Settings section.  Then, any Contact you add to your mailing list with the the OptInSource set to ACTION_BY_CONTACT will automatically generate the Confirmed Opt In email with a manual confirmation link.  Anyone who doesn't click this link will be in the state "Awaiting Confirmation".  If they click it, they'll be in the state "Confirmed".  You can use our query API to look up the status of individual email addresses as well.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
LouisN
Occasional Participant

Thanks Dave!

I appreciate your answer - can you tell me one more thing? What sort of account or access would I need to enable this flow? I understand the Event category allows an indetermiate number of users -  once added to my user list, would they be added to my event? Could I do that programmatically? Or are the prospective users for the event defined when the event is, and adding users is impossible?

Louis

Normally I recommend an Email Marketing account since most of our customers intend to send actual email campaigns to these subscribers.  If you're not looking to do any actual email marketing, you could just pay for our Event Marketing product.  These subscribers would not be related in any way to any event since you won't be hosting them.  They'd simply be Contacts in your database.  This also leaves you open to at any time adding the Email Marketing product to send email to these subscribers if you chose to start communicating with them.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page