cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Lists be setup to required data other than email address? If so, how is this handled in the API?

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Can Lists be setup to required data other than email address? If so, how is this handled in the API?

I'm more familiar with MailChimp and their API - over there, a list can be configured to require a field (like "FNAME" for first name), and if a list is so configured, then all API calls to add list subscribers MUST include both the email address AND the first name.

Is this configuration possible at Constant Contact? If so, can you point me to the API documentation that describes this configuration? Or, does creating a new contact and adding them to an existing list ONLY require the email address, and NEVER require any other fields?

Tags (3)
1 REPLY 1
CTCT Employee

Re: Can Lists be setup to required data other than email address? If so, how is this handled in the

Hello,

I can definitely help you with the questions that you have about our API.  When using our API, you do not specify the requirements of the contacts in the lists.  When creating a contact the only thing that is required is an email address and a list for the contact to be added.

You can, however, add restrictions on your end, by making required fields that are enforced by either the server side language that is making the API calls, or on the clients side in javascript.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask!

Benjamin Soder
NOC Analyst
Constant Contact