The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

Constantly running into HTTP 504 errors when attempting to retrieve contacts

Highlighted
Visitor

Constantly running into HTTP 504 errors when attempting to retrieve contacts

I've had this problem intermittenly over the last couple of weeks, always when trying to pull contacts.  It looks like the call times out after one minute.

I am using Jersey http client.

the api_key has been changed in the log snippet for security reasons.

13 Nov 10:21:47.967 INFO [main] c.s.j.a.c.f.LoggingFilter [LoggingFilter.java:166] 5 * Client out-bound request
5 > GET https://api.constantcontact.com/v2/contacts?api_key=zzzzz&limit=500
5 > Authorization: Bearer XXXXXXXXXXX
5 > Accept: application/json

13 Nov 10:22:47.966 INFO [main] c.s.j.a.c.f.LoggingFilter [LoggingFilter.java:166] 5 * Client in-bound response
5 < 504
5 < Content-length: 0
5 <

Any help is appreciated,

Patrick

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Re: Constantly running into HTTP 504 errors when attempting to retrieve contacts

Definitely see that you're requests are taking over the 60s timeout we have for retreiving the data, which is well outside our normal performance numbers and expected performance.  Having the dev team take a look and see what is going on.  Will update when we have more information.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
Highlighted
Visitor

Re: Constantly running into HTTP 504 errors when attempting to retrieve contacts

Thanks for taking a look at this issue.  

We are working on getting our application into production and this issue is blocking our completion.  Do you have any information on when we might get this resolved?

Thanks,

Patrick

Highlighted

Definitely found that this seems to be happening specifically with this one account and only for large numbers of Contacts per requerst.  For example, if we reduce the limit to 200, the responses come back in time.  But when we go up to 300 Contacts per request, the processing takes over the 60s maximum response time and returns the 504.

We have our development team that manages our Contact Management platform, which is the portion of our code that is timing out, looking at this now.  A short term workaround to get you moving again is to use 200 per request instead of 500 until we figure out why this account is performing so slowly. 

Dave Berard
Highlighted
Occasional Participant

I seem to be having this issue as well with my account when I'm trying to sync the two programs.

I have tried using the Microsoft Dynamic CRM 2011 sync with constant contacts and both times that I have tried, I keep getting a http status error 504. Is there something that I'm doing wrong when filling in the information before syncing?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated :-)

Highlighted

Can you confirm which integration you're using that is causing these problems for you?  If you are not the author, we will need to reach out to the actual author in order to trouble shoot this further.  If there is a configuration option to retrieve fewer contacts per request, have you attempted that as a workaround?

Dave Berard
Highlighted
Occasional Participant

I was using the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online 2011 & 2013... I didn't see an option to choose fewer contacts.

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Was that what you were asking for? As yes I am the author

Highlighted

On each API request, there as an optional parameter of "limit".  For retrieving Contacts, this can be set anywhere from 1-500.  We have seen some performance issues when set to over 200 which cause timeouts on some customers.  My question swas, have you tried reducing the value of limit to a smaller number to see if that resolves your 504 errors.

Dave Berard
Highlighted
Occasional Participant

No I have not, I must have overlooked that because I don't recall seeing that there was an option

Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured