The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

Contact List Organization

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Contact List Organization

Hello,

The project I'm currently building offers the ability to post products for sale, create custom email campaigns, add their users contacts and send out those email campaigns. We have over 50 domains that we are branding and I would like to keep users from each in their own buckets. Then each user from each site could have multiple lists. How would I create these sub lists with the API?  I currently have the supplied PHP wrapper running on our server but I don't see any documentation or information on how to deal with Segments with the API. 

Help anyone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Contact List Organization

Hello,

You've misunderstood my question and the issue. Your partner program does not resolve my issue, I do not have 50 users, I have 50 websites, each with hundreds to thousands of clients, that'll each have hundreds to thousands of contacts. 

You say 50 users -> Individually manage their contacts

I'm saying 50 websites -> 100+ users per site -> 100+ contacts per user

They'll login to their account with us on one of our sites to manage their contacts and email campaigns with our customization tool and have the system supply this custom HTML to your system. We're obtaining a custom footer that'll be generic for all sites. 

What I am asking:

How do you deal with having a list that you only want to send to part of that list without Segments or Tags with the API or with the API can you only send to a full list?

Thanks.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Employee

Hello,

The needs that you're describing sound like they'd best be served through our Constant Contact Partner Program, you can find more information at http://www.constantcontact.com/partners . This will allow you to provision separate accounts for each of your 50 users. Separate accounts will allow them to keep their lists discrete from one another, as well as allowing them to each have their own 'from' and 'reply-to' email addresses and email footers. We also have several integration options available to partners as well as webhooks to allow push notifications.

If you don't need your users to log in directly, or if their lists do not need to be discrete from one another, you can certainly allow multiple users access to your account (and their own list or sets of lists) via an integration using the API, but you're right. Our API does not currently deal with segments, though without access to the log in of the account, your users' lists would not be easily visible one another.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

You've misunderstood my question and the issue. Your partner program does not resolve my issue, I do not have 50 users, I have 50 websites, each with hundreds to thousands of clients, that'll each have hundreds to thousands of contacts. 

You say 50 users -> Individually manage their contacts

I'm saying 50 websites -> 100+ users per site -> 100+ contacts per user

They'll login to their account with us on one of our sites to manage their contacts and email campaigns with our customization tool and have the system supply this custom HTML to your system. We're obtaining a custom footer that'll be generic for all sites. 

What I am asking:

How do you deal with having a list that you only want to send to part of that list without Segments or Tags with the API or with the API can you only send to a full list?

Thanks.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hello,

At present with the API it is only possible to schedule campaigns to an entire list of contacts. While we are looking at future upgrades to this functionality, we do not currently have any dates for when it will be available.

In your case that you've described, another limitation you should be aware of is that each unique Constant Contact account can only have a maximum of 1,000 unique contact lists. Given this, it could become a problem for you if you will have one account per domain, where a domain could have 200 users with 5 lists each.

For the purposes of scalability, it may be the most effective to have one Constant Contact account per user, or some form of a solution that would allow you to manage multiple accounts per domain. If this is the direction you would be looking at, then it sounds like investigating our partnership opportunities (per Josh's suggestion) may be the best option, as that would grant access to some additional tools for managing information and billing across those accounts. 

If we can provide any more information, please let us know!

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured