Contact Signup API Questions

SOLVED
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Contact Signup API Questions

Hello. I'm rather new to constant contact, and have a few questions regarding contact signups:

1. Using the CC APIs, can I create a new contact, add them to my main email list, and have an email be sent to them notifying that they are now subscribed?

2. Using the CC APIs, can I create a new contact and have them added to the "Do Not Mail List"? Pending that auto emails are possible (per my first question above), I'm trying to avoid a welcome email go out to those customers, because they opted out on our site's registration form. Even though they don't want emails, I still want to track them.

3. If a contact is in the "Do Not Mail List", will that status stay in tact, even if they are included in a csv file upload of multiple contacts? I want to update my contacts daily based on the customer info I have in my order processing system, but I don't want to overwrite a contacts preference who have opted not receive emails.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Contact Signup API Questions

Hi, nice to meet you! Here are some answers, let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

1.) The API allows you to set which list you are adding a contact to, as well as who added them. If you set it as an ACTION_BY_CUSTOMER (customer in this case would be you), the API will not send an automated welcome email. If it is set to ACTION_BY_CONTACT, a welcome email will be sent automatically. This welcome email can be set up and customized by logging in to the UI.

2.) You will need to add the contact to a list first, then send them to the Do Not Mail. Like I mentioned in the last point, you can use ACTION_BY_CUSTOMER to avoid sending out any sort of emails, then immediately send them to the do not mail list by sending a DELETE request to the contact's ID.

3.) The bulk uploader will always import as ACTION_BY_CUSTOMER, and when contacts are added this way, do not mail contacts cannot be put back into an active status. Once someone is on the do not mail list, it requires an action by contact to opt themselves back in.

Nick Galbraith
Support Engineer

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Contact Signup API Questions

Hi, nice to meet you! Here are some answers, let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

1.) The API allows you to set which list you are adding a contact to, as well as who added them. If you set it as an ACTION_BY_CUSTOMER (customer in this case would be you), the API will not send an automated welcome email. If it is set to ACTION_BY_CONTACT, a welcome email will be sent automatically. This welcome email can be set up and customized by logging in to the UI.

2.) You will need to add the contact to a list first, then send them to the Do Not Mail. Like I mentioned in the last point, you can use ACTION_BY_CUSTOMER to avoid sending out any sort of emails, then immediately send them to the do not mail list by sending a DELETE request to the contact's ID.

3.) The bulk uploader will always import as ACTION_BY_CUSTOMER, and when contacts are added this way, do not mail contacts cannot be put back into an active status. Once someone is on the do not mail list, it requires an action by contact to opt themselves back in.

Nick Galbraith
Support Engineer

View solution in original post

Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Register for our "Making Sense of Online Marketing for Retail" Webinar

Join us on Thursday, August 13th at 2pm ET for a free webinar where we'll discuss how to incorporate online marketing into your retail store.

Read More
Featured