Custom Field Names and API (specifically PHP-SDK)?

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Custom Field Names and API (specifically PHP-SDK)?

I am developing an add contact form for my website, and I am having trouble dealing with Custom Fields and the PHP-SDK.  I found documentation that says "You must name each custom field CustomField1, CustomField2,...CustomField15".  Is there no way to use my own custom field names, like "Organization Type"?

Also, if I use "CustomField1" as suggested, when I look at my custom fields list under "My Settings" in Constant Contact panel, I now have two custom fields:

"CustomField1"

...and...

"Custom Field 1"

The customer data gets saved in the latter field, but I am still required to have the former field for API to work?

Please advise.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Custom Field Names and API (specifically PHP-SDK)?

Currently, we are limiting custom field access to a specific format for validation purposes.  As has been mentioned multiple times in the forum and customer communications, we are in the process of upgrading our entire contact management system.  There are a lot of changes going on with this migration and upgrade including how custom fields work.  As such, they may appear differently in the UI depending on if you are on our new contact management or old.  However, to maintain predictability for developers during this migration and upgrade we are requiring a specific format so that we can guarantee that the API does work as expected.

If you run into any unexpected behavior or errors, please let us know.  This is a massive migration and while we have done our best to test and predict everything that could happen, as with any massive software migration it's likely we've missed something and will need our communities help to find and fix any of those items.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact Would Like To Hear From You!

We want to hear from customers like you about your favorite features and how they have helped your business or organization. Tell us by answering a few questions in...

Read More
Featured