The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

Custom Signup Form Generator Appears to be functioning, but always goes to failure page and no additions are made to list

Highlighted

Custom Signup Form Generator Appears to be functioning, but always goes to failure page and no additions are made to list

I installed and configured the Custom Signup Form Generator on one of my organizations websites.  (http://www.georgiacc.org/index3.htm) but for some reason that I can't determine (I can't seem to find any error reporting) after hitting submit button it always goes to the alert failure page and no entires are made to the list I assigned the form to use.  Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this further?

Thank you and I was so excited when I found this developer site yesterday.

Jonathon Hanten

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Employee

Re: Custom Signup Form Generator Appears to be functioning...

What error is it that you are receiving when adding a contact, and does this Contact already exist? If so, you would not be able to add another contact using the same email address, as a contact with that address already exists within your account. We do have a a ccsfg.txt file located in your \CCSFG_0.0.4\ folder which will have debugging information. If you could send the contents of that file along with the error you are receiving, I would be happy to take a closer look. You can email the file to our webservices support team. Thanks.

David J

Highlighted

Sent the files and disabled the forwarding urls in the form...

Okay, I sent an email to the address you gave me with the log file.  After disabling the url forward for success and failure messages I discovered that it is reporting that my email address is already on the list, but when I visit the list it is still empty and if I search all contacts for all lists the address I was trying to log is not in the system at all.  So the form is striking out on both cases.  The log file didn't tell me anything.

Thank you for your time and help with this matter.

J

Highlighted
Employee

Re: Sent the files and disabled the forwarding urls in the form.

Thank you. I received your email and will be responding to it in just a minute.

David J

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Custom Signup Form Generator

I am having this same problem... was there ever a solution found?

Highlighted
Employee

Re: Custom Signup Form Generator

The Constant Contact Signup Form Generator (CCSFG) intentionally does not update contacts, and only adds new ones. We may be able to provide you with an easy solution to this, but would need you to email our webservices support team so that we can go over a few items. If the inability to update an existing contact is not the issue that you're running into, please elaborate on the issues you are experiencing and I will be happy to help. Thanks!

David J

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Custom Signup Form Generator

I figured out that the reason it was going to the failure page was that the contact I was trying to add to this specific list was already in one of my other lists.  But shouldn't I be able to add a contact to a specific list using a form created with the CCSFG as long as the contact is not already on that specific list? (Even though it may already be on another list within the same account?)

Let me know if I am completely off the beaten path as far as how Constant Contact works... I need to have multiple small lists (something like event registrations in CC) but I'm unable to use Constant Contact's event registration system (for various reasons).  However, I would like to keep all of our info in one place as everything else we do is with Constant Contact, which is why I'm trying to get this form (and multiple similar ones that sign registrants up for different lists) to work. 

Let me know if there is a way to make this work...  Thanks!

Highlighted

What you are looking to do is

What you are looking to do is possible using our API.  You can follow the steps in the post above by Dave J to get an updated version of the CCFSG that will allow that to happen.

For clarification on why Constant Contact does not publish this by default, there is a potential security hole for your customers information in this scenario.  If you allow an existing contact to be updated simply by entering their information on a public web form, you are not confirming that the contact themselves is making the request.  This can leave a hole for malicious people to go in and change your list memberships, corrupt your user information or, if you present back personal information to the user, steal information on your customers.

As a general industry security best practice, in order to update a contacts information, you should first confirm that the person trying to update that information is indeed the contact in question.  This could be done by only allowing this update in a secure login area where you have a reasonable assumption they are who they say they are or by sending a confirmation email to the contact in question with a link to update their information.  This way, the only way that the information can be updated is if you have a reasonable guarantee that they are indeed the contact.  Constant Contact uses the email confirmation method, however neither of these methods are within the scope of our code samples.  As such, we have opted to not put that into the sample by default to avoid allowing our users to put a security threat up on their websites without knowing all the risks involved.

Hope this clears up why we did what we did here.  If you have any questions, please feel free to send an email to our webservices support team

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Thanks for the detailed

Thanks for the detailed response, but that is not really what I asked.  I don't want to update any contacts information... just create a new contact in new list as if they had never signed up before.

Highlighted

I think this is where the

I think this is where the confusion may be.  Contacts are a unique email address in your account.  Their list membership is actually an attribute of the contact.  You can't create a new contact in a new list, you must update the existing contact with new list properties.  So to do what you're looking to do, it is considered a Contact update in Constant Contact.  So this scenario still falls under the potential security risks outlined above. 

Sorry for the frustration here, it would be best if you sent an email and we can follow up with the updated code to do what you're looking to do.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured