The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

Custom Signup Form (from CCSFG) not working correctly

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Custom Signup Form (from CCSFG) not working correctly

I have installed a custom form on my website that I created with the Constant Contact Signup Form Generator (http://developer.constantcontact.com/samples/custom_signup_forms).  I downloaded the necessary files and went through the whole setup process... the result is what you see at the following link: http://bravegirlcamp.kajabi.com/thank_you_pages/4257 

I am trying to create a page that collects information for people that have signed up for an event of mine. (I'm not using Constant Contact as the registration/payment method for various reasons, but still want to import the information into Constant Contact via this form for each of the participants after they have completed their payment.)

My first problem is that any time the form is submitted, it goes to the failure page and doesn't add any of the submitted information to the specified list.

My second problem/question, is whether the information from the custom fields that I have added to my form will even be stored in and accessible from Constant Contact at all.   (On the field selection page it says that the info from custom fields is only stored locally... see http://screencast.com/t/1gDRQPoS for a screenshot.)

Finally, my last question is that I uploaded all the setup files to the root directory of my main site, but embedded the form on a different one.  I updated the action url to point to the correct location but wondered if that might be part of the problem?  Is there anything else I would need to do to ensure that it is sending all of the info to the right place?

Thanks in advance!  

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Employee

questions about the ccsfg

Hello,

I would like to help you with your questions about the CCSFG. First, are you trying to add a contact that is not currently in your account? Currently, the CCSFG will only add new contacts, so if the contact is already in your account, even on the removed list, it will not add them. If the contact is not already in your account, let me know and we can try to figure out why it is not adding them.

Secondly, what it means by saying that the Custom Field names will not be stored with us, is that the actual names, like "Custom Field 1", you can change. However, the change will only be on your end, on our end it will still be called "Custom Field 1". The actual information is going to be stored on our end.

As long as you are pointing the form to the correct folder, it should work. However, is it possible for you to put it in the same directory to see if that is what is causing the problem? If it is, I will look into this and see why that would happen.

Regards,

Benjamin Soder
NOC Analyst
Constant Contact
Highlighted
Occasional Participant

questions about the ccfsg

Hi Ben...

Thanks for your response.  After a little tinkering it looks like it is not adding it because the same email is in another list within our Constant Contact account.  Is it not possible for this form to add a contact that may or may not be on our default list to another completely separate list within the same account?  I don't see why it would be a problem...

Thanks for your help... Looking forward to your response!

Jeff

Highlighted
Employee

constant contact sign up form generator

Hello,

The way our API works, if you have a contact that is already in the account, you must do a put call instead of a post call to update the contact.  When a customer is on any list in the account, it is considered to be already part of the account.

The way our Constant Contact sign up form generator works is that it tries to do a post to the account, and if it returns a 409 error stating the contact is already in the account, it returns that error to the person signing up.  One work around that does not require modifying the php code, and only the error message, would be to add a Join My Mailing list link to the error message stating that they are already in the account.  This will allow them to update their contact information and add themselves to new lists.

If you have any questions about this, please let me know.

Regards,

Benjamin Soder
NOC Analyst
Constant Contact
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured