cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

Double Optin Not Working with API

SOLVED
Occasional Participant

Double Optin Not Working with API

I just added a simple email optin form to my Wordpress blog. It used the CC API, which I successfully obtained, entered into the Divi Email Optin module and tested. When I use the form to subscribe, my name and email address are added to my contact list, but my double optin email is not sent. I have verify that my Confirmed Optin setting is turned ON and functions correctly when I test it. Is there something else I need to do in order to have the Confirmed Optin sent once the new contact is added to my list? Thanks. 

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Double Optin Not Working with API

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to Constant Contact API Developer Support.

I just tested the popup form on your website, and it looks like I did get added as Awaiting Confirmation and sent the confirmation email as expected. Only new contacts are sent the confirmation email; are you testing with email addresses that are already in your contact list?

Sincerely,
David B.
Tier II API Support Engineer

Occasional Participant

I just found out from an agent that the double optin feature does not work during the free trial period that I'm on. I guess there isn't too much you can 'trial' during the free trial period. LOL  As an option, I could signup to the Basic plan to try out all the features and exercise the 30 day money back policy if dissatisfied. Although it would be nice if CC was a bit more transparent about what's available to users during the free trial as opposed to the paid plans. Other services (SurveyMonkey, SendinBlue, etc) are more forthcoming about feature levels. 

Occasional Participant

Thanks for the reply. I'm using a separate test email, but delete it from my Contacts before each test. I'm assuming that the system will see that email come in as a new user each time. BTW, try the sidebar widget I have on my Blog page. That's the one I've been trying to get working correctly.

Also see my reply regarding the free trial plan. Is what the Chat agent told me correct? If so, that may be what's preventing the full double optin from working.

Thanks. 

Hello,

During the free trial period the Confirmed Opt In process works in full, so there may be some misunderstanding. I just signed up on the widget on your blog page with my own address, and I did receive the confirmation email. I also clicked on the Confirm Subscription link in the email. I verified that I did get moved to an active contact.

A contact is never truly deleted from within a Constant Contact account, it's simply removed from all lists and no longer visible in the account. The reason we do this is to maintain data such as accurate reporting, and unsubscribe status behind the scenes. When you add back a previously deleted contact, the original contact is revived.

So if a contact is already confirmed and deleted, adding them back will just add them back into your account as active and not resend the confirmation email. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Sincerely,
David B.
Tier II API Support Engineer

Occasional Participant

Ah-ha! Another layer of the onion! Thanks for that explanation. And sorry to hear the dude on the other end of the chat box gave me wrong information. But glad that double optin does work. I'll triple check by testing with a different email address. Thanks for your help and the detail!