We all started somewhere! Share your experience on the Get Advice: Let's Get Started Sweepstakes thread and be entered to win a $100 credit on your Constant Contact account.

Double Quotes Around Contacts Added Through API V1

JustinS40215
Participant

Double Quotes Around Contacts Added Through API V1

The following is the API call: activityType=SV_ADD&data=Email%20Address%2CFirst%20Name%2CLast%20Name%2CCompany%20Name%0A%22jason%40marketsharp.com%22%2C%20%22Stephen%22%2C%20%22Aagard%22%2C%20%22ABC%20Supply%22%0A%22jsteele%40marketsharp.com%22%2C%20%22Ramon%22%2C%20%22Alvarez%22%2C%20%22%22%0A%22jerry%40yahoo.com%22%2C%20%22Jerry%22%2C%20%22Johnson%22%2C%20%22%22%0A%22jason%40marketsharp.com%22%2C%20%22Jason%22%2C%20%22Jones%22%2C%20%22%22%0A%22jason%40marketsharp.com%22%2C%20%22Jason%22%2C%20%22Jones%22%2C%20%22%22%0A%22gmt%40yahoo.com%22%2C%20%22Gerald%22%2C%20%22Thomas%22%2C%20%22%22%0A%22srchrisp%40aol.com%22%2C%20%22Kenneth%22%2C%20%22Wendel%22%2C%20%22%22%0A&lists=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.constantcontact.com%2Fws%2Fcustomers%2Fmarketsharpdev%2Flists%2F326

The attached image shows the result.

Contacts with Errors.png
11 REPLIES 11
Elijah_G

Hello,

Thank you for providing this information! We have recently become aware of this issue and are currently developing a fix for this issue and we are aiming to have it implemented with our next software release. The issue is happening due to an issue that we have recently uncovered with how we handle quotes in our bulk imports through the V1 API that is causing them to be kept, rather than parsed and stripped.

It is possible to bypass this issue by limiting the use of quotes to non email address fields, however, this will still cause the quotes to be pulled through for some other fields where they should not be.

If you have a situation where contacts have been imported and their names ahve been updated to include quotes, the best way to correct this is to re-upload those contacts once the fix for this issue is in place. This will cause the contact to be updated and use the right information.

If you do have any questions, please feel free to post them here.

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Norada
Regular Participant

Any update on this?

Hello,

We have released an update to our production environment that addresses this issue. In order to correct any contacts that were imported with the quotes still showing around the contact, you will want to re-sync/upload those contacts. By uploading the contacts again, it will update their records with the correct information.

If you are still seeing any issues with this behavior, please let us know so that we can investigate the cause!

Best Regards,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Norada
Regular Participant

Thanks! We'll let you know if the issue persits.

Norada
Regular Participant

Our clients - users of Solve 360 are still seeing the issues when they import the contacts from our App. This has not been an issue before and no changes have been made on our end. If you'd like to reach out to us directly, you can do so here - support@norada.com. Perhaps we can provide furhter details.

So far our clients have tried what you have outlined above. As well, we have asked them to test deleting the affected records in Constant Contact and running a fresh import. The issue seems to persist it seems.

JamesG02911
Occasional Participant

Yeah, going in and  deleting so many contact would not be an option.....

JamesG02911
Occasional Participant

Yes it continues to happen for me as well. Very frustrating. Contantly adding contacts and sending emails. This is really causing a big problem.

PLEASE WORK ASAP. !!!!!

Hello,

I wanted to post here to follow up on this issue. We spent some time last week working internally and with Norada on this issue and the problem should now be resolved. If you are still seeing any issues when importing contact data to your Constant Contact account, please let me know!

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer

This seems to be happening again. 

Did something change in a new API we have a customer who ca not push addresses into their account because the double quotes are showing up.

Thanks

Hello,

I've double-checked on our side and there have not been any recent changes made to the API for bulk imports or the underlying systems. Do you have any more information that you can share about the error?

If the details are too specific to share on a public forum, you can also reach out to us by email at webservices@constantcontact.com.

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer

Hi Andy,

I unencoded the URL string you sent me, and it looks like your application is sending us the quotes. I'll reply to your email with the unencoded string, but I wanted to post here for anyone following along (and so that Elijah doesn't also dig into this).

Best Regards,

Shannon Wallace

Partner API Support Engineer

Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page