cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Empty List array for some contacts

Regular Visitor

Re: Empty List array for some contacts

We've made the business decision to stop using the API completely. The API does not seem to be compatible with the functionality provided by the web interface or the business rules governing how Constant Contact manages their data. Using the API for updates can result in data corruption; Constant Contact's reluctance to enhance the API or manipulate data directly to resolve the issues created by the API do not provide an acceptable environment for leaving our API interface in use. I urge caution if you are considering using the API for updates.

Highlighted

My apologies for the frustrations you've faced using the API.  Our API development team is working hard to minimize these types of issues.  We understand how frustrating it can be when the functionality of our UI and API doesn't align. 

We are working with our Contact Management development team to enhance and build out fully featured Contact APIs.  This project is taking longer than we anticipated and would have liked.  We do appreciate your feedback and the patience you've had so far. 

I understand that patience is finite and does wear thin.  I can also understand your decision to not use the API due to the problems you have run into.   We have managed to mitigate the majority of problems our developers have run into.  There are some limitations we are faced with that we have not been able to get passed so far, such as multiple contacts with the same email address not working effectively with search by email.  We will continue to work on enhancing the API with the goal of solvingl of these problems and aligning the API and UI functionality.  Hopefully you will continue to monitor our API updates going forward and that we can eventually meet your expectations.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
Occasional Participant

Hi,

I'm also getting the same issue, in my case all contacts return an empty array lists.

I'm using cc php sdk v1. Is there any solution for this issue?

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Hello,

It may be possible to work around the issue, but it will require some investigation work. Is it possible for you to PM me your Constant Contact username and one or more email addresses that return an empty set of lists?

I do also want to mention that if you are working on new development it is preferable to work with the V2 API rather than V1. The V1 API is in a deprecated state now and is only receiving fixes to critical issues moving forward.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Occasional Participant

Hi,

I can't use the V2 sdk because the server I'm working on didn't meet the requirements so I just stick on V1. Okay I will PM you.

Thanks.

Occasional Participant

Hi,

How can I send you a personal message? I can't see it anywhere...

This is what I get on all contacts when I tried to get their lists:

[lists] => Array
(

)

Honored Contributor

Hello,

You can send messages by clocking on the small letter icon at the top-right corner of the community and then choosing Compose Message and sending to me me (Elijah_G).

As a note, if all contacts are showing empty lists, it is likely that you are requesting contacts from the collection, which does not include list membership data. With our V1 API, list memberships are only returned from the API when you are requesting a single contact, likely with the getContactDetails method in the wrapper for our V1 API. Unless you are specifically calling the getContactDetails method, then it is expected that the list memberships would not be shown in our V1 API.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions!

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Occasional Participant

Hi,

Okay. I tried the getContactDetails method and passed to its url param the link value that I get from searchContactsByEmail method but I get an error. What should be the format of the value? Here is the error:

Catchable fatal error: Argument 1 passed to ConstantContact::getContactDetails() must be an instance of Contact, string given...

------------------------------------------------------

Nevermind I'm able to get it. I passed the object itself.

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Glad to hear that you were able to resolve the problem! If you run into any roadblocks or have any questions, please let us know!

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer