Get Customer Information When They Click Link Embedded in Email

SOLVED
Go to solution
Frequent Participant

Get Customer Information When They Click Link Embedded in Email

We send out sales emails with special offers to our customers.  If they want to make a purchase they can click on a link in the email that takes them to an order page on our website.  We want to autofill the order page on our website with their contact information so they don't have to enter it manually.  The problem is, how do we identify the customer when they click on the link in the email?  Is there a way to identify the email address of the recipient when they click the link? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Frequent Participant

I found the solution to what I need.  I put the $SUBSCRIBER.EMAIL% into the URL as a query string. So my URL looks like this:  www.abccompany.com/Default.aspx?Campaign=1&CustEmail=$SUBSCRIBER.EMAIL$.  Then in the code on my website I can get the value of CustEmail.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hello,

It is very possible to accomplish what you are looking to do by making use of Dyanmic Links in the emails sent to your customers. By doing this, you can do things such as including the customer's email address as part of the link, allowing that information to be passed on to your website so that you can use it. We have an FAQ available that describes how to create dynamic links using our email editor. You can find that article here: https://community.constantcontact.com/t5/Need-help-with-something-else/How-To-Insert-Dynamic-Links/t...

One important note is that when you are using dynamic links within a Constant Contact email, you must disable tracking on those links.

If you do have any more questions about dynamic links, I would suggest contacting our support team directly as they will be able to assist you further with this!

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Frequent Participant

Thank you.  I reveiwed the articles on dynamic links and tried a test.  It indeed pulls the the customer data $SUBSCRIBER.EMAIL$ into the URL.  However, this does not do quite what we need because it changes the URL by appending the customer email to it.  We need to keep the URL unchanged.  Is there any way to do this with dynamic links?  If not is there another way to get customer data when they click on a link without changing the URL?

Frequent Participant

I found the solution to what I need.  I put the $SUBSCRIBER.EMAIL% into the URL as a query string. So my URL looks like this:  www.abccompany.com/Default.aspx?Campaign=1&CustEmail=$SUBSCRIBER.EMAIL$.  Then in the code on my website I can get the value of CustEmail.

View solution in original post

Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page