The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

HTML Entities in API vs. Advanced Editor

Highlighted

HTML Entities in API vs. Advanced Editor

I have to use some non Latin 1 (ISO-8859-1) character (eg. ŐŰ, U with double long acute, both Latin 2).

As I see there 3 options to create a campaign:

a) Emails : Email Layout (CC webpage Template Editor)

b) Emails : Advanced Editor (CC webpage My Emails)

c) API -> EmailContent

For a) the designer gives this error for Ű but interestingly not for Ő:

"The following character(s) are not supported. Please remove them before saving the block.

The character Ű in the following text is not supported:"

For b) the editor replace both Ő and Ű with ű and ő (it wotks).

For c) the API replace Ő, Ű,  ű and ő with (arrow).

From b) it seems thet the engine can handle ŰŐ or at least the HTML Entities.

What is the correct workaround for c)?

ty.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Employee

Re: HTML Entities in API vs. Advanced Editor

I apologize for any inconvenience that this issue has caused. Our initial product was designed and implemented for using the English language only. With that being said, our original setup was on an ISO-8859-1 database and therefore we only support those characters. Any other characters would need to be entered as HTML encoded entities. For example, Ű would need to be entered as Ű and Ő would need to be entered in as Ő.

We are looking to move to UTF-8 encoding in the future so that we are able to better support foreign languages, but I am unfortuantely not able to provide any time table for this. I hope this information helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

David J

Highlighted

The  & trick works for

The  & trick works for the body content (not for subject).

Thank You!

Highlighted

Subject lines are not treated

Subject lines are not treated the same way as the body of an email.  The body of an HTML email is in HTML and may contain HTML encoded entities.  The Subject line is in characters and must have the correct encoding string set up.  Depending on your language you are trying to use, these strings must be created very differently. 

While we do not offer any method for doing this encoding, there is an RFC published with all this information and explaining how the encoding is done.  Many languages have pre-defined methods for doing this type of encoding, you should consult your langauge help resources for more information that.  Here is the link to RFC 2047 and how to encode character sequences such as the Subject Line.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured