rv1
rv1

How to be notified when a contact uses the "safeUnsubscribe" feature

I’m developing an application using the APIs.  I’ve come across a problem I wonder if you can help me solve.

As with a lot of applications requiring the use of the APIs, I need to make sure that my local database of contacts match the database at Constant contact.  When it comes to adding a contact, this is no problem as all subscriptions are initiated by the user on our website.  But when it comes to unsubscribing, there are two choices for the customer:

1. unsubscribe through our website

2. unsubscribe using the “safeUnsubscribe” link at the bottom of the email.

The first is no problem; I can update my local database, and send an API request to de-list the contact.

The second is a problem because I can see no option for a callback to my site to notify my site that a user has de-listed, and so the databases fall out of sync.  

Is there any way to modify the “safeUnsubscribe” link so it points to an action on my site (from where I will send an API request to CC to de-list the contact).  Or is there a way that the unsubscribe process could include a callback to an action on my site to enable me to keep my database in sync. (Something like Paypal's IPN).

CTCT Employee
David_J

Synchronize Opt-outs

At this time, we do not have the functionality to modify the ‘safeUnsubscribe’ link in your email. However, we do offer the ability to Search for Contacts by Last Updated Date (Synchronizing Contacts). This feature allows you to query only the contacts that have been updated from a specified date. This query can be run against a list type (active, removed, do-not-mail) or an actual contact list.

For your particular use, you could use this to run a query against the ‘do-not-mail’ list type, which would present you with an XML of all of the contacts that have been placed in the ‘do-not-mail’ section from a specified date. For example, if you wanted to know which contacts have been placed on do-not-mail since April 1st 2010, you could perform an HTTP get against the following URL:

https://api.constantcontact.com/ws/customers/{username}/contacts?updatedsince=2010-04-01&listtype=do-not-mail

I hope this information helps. Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks.

David J

Visitor
BeckyH67

Re: Synchronize Opt-outs

I also need this functionality. Our database needs to be updated almost as quickly as contacts unsubscribe, to reflect the change on their profile page of our website.

Has anything changed since 2010 or is this still the way to do it?

How often can this query be run?

Regards,

-Becky

Ryan_D
Topics: 0
Kudos: 20
Solutions: 21

Hey,

This will work just as it did in back then.  We have not made any changes at this time. 

Ryan Davis
Support Engineer, Constant Contact
Visitor
BeckyH67

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the quick answer. How often can we run this query without spamming your API?

-Becky

Ryan_D
Topics: 0
Kudos: 20
Solutions: 21

Hey,

If your going to run it on a schedule I wouldnt run it more than once every few more minutes.  You could do it once a minute but the results will be null for the most part.  But that particular collection shouldnt be a problem to call as often as once a minute.

Hope this helps.

Ryan Davis
Support Engineer, Constant Contact