The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

How to generate api key programatically using username and password

Highlighted
Visitor

How to generate api key programatically using username and password

Hello All,

We are developing an application that show the constant contact reports in our application.  Is there any way in constant contact to generate the API key using clients username and password.

Please let me know if there is a way to do this in c#.net

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Employee

Re: How to generate api key programatically using username and password

Hello,

I believe what you are trying to do is use our API system across multiple accounts.  If I am misunderstanding you please let me know.  In our system, you can use API keys across mutliple accounts, so you would not need to generate a new key for each account.  You only need to use the original key that you created for your account.

Also, so that I can better help you with further questions, what are you designing with the API?

Sincerely,

Benjamin Soder
NOC Analyst
Constant Contact
Highlighted
Visitor

Hello,

I have few questions / points here.

1.We are developing an application that shows our clients email campaigns reports in our application.  In order to do that we need to access clients accounts right. for that the REST API's requires APIKEy along with username and password.  So here we dont want to ask the client too many requests.  Rite now we have clients username and password, through console application is there any way to generate the API key instead of asking the client to generate through the constant contact web interface and sent to us, and we want this process to auomate to generate the API key with username and password.

2.In your previous reply you said [you can use API keys across mutliple accounts, so you would not need to generate a new key for each account], you mean to say that with one API key we can access our multiple clients account details if we have username and password for each client.

3.Quite some time back we have tried to implement OAuth access mechanism to access the CC account details, but there is a flaw in one of your API methods [please find the details below of previous thread] that we struck with this approach, so again we are continuing with Basic Authentication using username and password.

http://community.constantcontact.com/t5/Authentication-and-Access-ie-401/How-to-get-the-summary-data...

4. Regarding your question what are you designing with API, we are developing a dashboard application to show the various metric reports from CC.

Please let me know further or if i am going wrong here.

Regards,
SB.

Highlighted
Employee

Hello,

You do only need one API key across multiple accounts, so all you would need to ask your clients would be for the username and password if using Basic Authentication.

We have fixed some of the earlier issues we have had with OAuth, so the issue you're referring to pulilng detailed campaign information has been resolved.  If you are using OAuth you would not need to store your clients username and passwords at all on your end, which may be a benefit to you.

Let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with.

Regards,

Benjamin Soder
NOC Analyst
Constant Contact
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured