cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constant Contact wants to help you succeed! We’re celebrating our professional service programs on the Constant Contact Community this month and you have a chance to try one of the services for free! Learn more.

Including Link to External Image With Action URL

Occasional Participant

Including Link to External Image With Action URL

I'm working with a client who has entered into a promotional deal with a company that provides us with two links for each of four separate offers to be made to our members.

When a member opens the welcoming email, s/he sees four different images, each associated with a different offer of a discount or a free item or some such. In our CC email, we have to associate the link URL with a placeholder image that it swapped out for the image on the target site and we have to associate that new image with a URL that will bring up the appropriate offer on the other company's server when the user clicks on the linked image.

I do not see any way to accomplish this in ConstantContact but I feel confident others have solved this problem. I'm willing to part with a consulting fee if necessary but I really have to solve this problem in the next 36 hours if it's solvable. Please feel free to email me directly at dan at shafermedia dot com.
3 REPLIES 3

I'm not sure I completely

I'm not sure I completely understand what you are looking to accomplish here. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understand this is you are looking to have one image in an email, but it will vary depending on who you send it to between one of 4 different images/offers?
Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
Occasional Participant

Sorry I wasn't clearer

We have an email template. In that email template are four graphical placeholders. They are essentially empty coupon-like shapes. Our application obtains from the user their zip code and their email (among other data) and then sends this data to the CC list for the email campaign in question. CC sends the email.

When the user opens the email, a URL we sent to CC when we created the entry for that recipient is activated and retrieves from the entertainment.com server a specific graphic image (coupon in this case) that's connected to the free offer being made to the recipient as a reward for signing up for our program. The graphic is associated with a URL which contains the details of the offer and a way for the recipient to print the coupon. That second URL is activated when the user clicks on the coupon.

I don't know how or if CC supports this. My guess is that if I were doing it I'd have a URL pointing to the graphic to be displayed embedded in the email somehow and I'd have that replaceble coupon placeholder linked to a URL in CC some way through our call to the CC API. What I *think * this calls for is a graphic whose source is external to CC and loaded when the email is opened. The URL to which the graphic is linked could, presumably, be stored in the mailing list we're adding the member to that triggers the email send.

What you're talking about can

What you're talking about can be done using Dynamic Image URLs, a technique where you use Custom Fields or other personal data you input into Constant Contact to define the URLs for the image. We have an FAQ on how to do this in our templates and if you are looking for how to do it using Custom XHTML code, you can call our support line and they will help you with the process.
Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact