cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a problem with the web services?

Occasional Contributor

Is there a problem with the web services?

I'm receiving the following error. This is in code that has been working fine w/o change. It's also very random.

Related to 

getContactDetails or searchContactsByEmail

Warning: simplexml_load_string(): Entity: line 1: parser error : Start tag expected, '<' not found in /Users/davebrown/Documents/www/clientbuilder/library/ConstantContact/Collections.php on line 235

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

3 REPLIES 3
CTCT Employee

Re: Is there a problem with the web services?

Hi Dave,

I don't think this is due to a change on our side--we haven't made any intentional changes to the XML API for quite some time. Is it possible that the XML parser you were using got updated or otherwise changed? Or, perhaps, the version of PHP you're using? If not, could you show me the line of code that's failing, along with a couple of lines surrounding it (for context)? Maybe lines 230-240 in the Collections.php file?

It looks like the code is failing before anything is submitted to us, which would suggest an environment change on your side.

Best Regards,

Shannon Wallace

Partner API Support Engineer

Occasional Contributor

Magically it started working again. There were no environment changes on my end. 

Honored Contributor

Hi Dave,

After looking at the source code for the Collections.php file in our older PHP library, it looks like the error happened when the application attempted to convert API responses to XML. In particular, this error would indicate that the response received was not XML formatted and thus could not be parsed.

Based on the fact that the issue cleared itself up, I suspect that it may have been some form of a connectivity issue that was causing connections to fail between your server and Constant Contact. I am not aware of any outages on our platform around this time, which leads me to think that the issue may have been external to Constant Contact. If you do see any recurrence of this issue, please let us know and we will be able to dig a bit deeper.

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer