The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

Is there a way to disable Change of Interest emails?

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Is there a way to disable Change of Interest emails?

Our client does not wish to see the change of interest emails sent, is there any way to disable this feature?

Here's some background:

Our site currently manages email lists ourselves however we have some of the email lists associated with constantcontact's lists.

We use the constantcontact APIs to manage contacts in these lists so the opt-in opt-out information are in sync between constantcontact and  our own site.  It is currently done by using "ACTION_BY_CONTACT" because we do have contacts in the "Do Not Mail" list that may potentially want to resubscribe back (using our site's email list management page).

"ACTION_BY_CONTACT" seems to be triggering the change of interest emails to be sent to the contacts when the requirement is not wanting to have this email at all.

I realize changing the source to "ACTION_BY_CUSTOMER" would achieve this but it causes another problem, which is "ACTION_BY_CUSTOMER" cannot bring users from the Do Not Mail list back to active.  So basically I can't really just change this.

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Employee

Re: Is there a way to disable Change of Interest emails?

Hi Jason,

Any time you are managing your list on your own, you should be using  "ACTION_BY_CUSTOMER".  This will prevent the Change of Interest email from going out.  You could set it up so that "ACTION_BY_CONTACT" is only used when a customer is opting back into your list.  They will receive the Change of Interest email, but at least they will be expecting it.

Thanks,

Matt R.
Support Engineer, Constant Contact
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the info.

However it's really the contacts who are managing their email lists, just that it's through our site thus the use of the API.  So I assume I was setting it up correctly by using ACTION_BY_CONTACT?

The issue here is really the change of interest email.  Since we don't have all email lists associated with constantcontact lists (we do more things with our email lists than just managing contacts), the change of interest email really confuses the users.  Plus it seems to always say "No Intersts" in the email.  That's why the requirement was to not have this email at all, but it's controlled by constantcontact.

So I assume there's no way to disable or to tell constantcontact to not send the change of interest email? is that correct?

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

It seems there are some others back in 2009 having similar "problem/issue" as the one I'm having:

http://community.constantcontact.com/t5/Developer-Support-ask-questions/change-of-interest-emails/td...

According to Dave's responses from the above post, it doesn't seem like the change of interest email is required by law elements.

Is there a way to request the feature to disable certain automated emails to be added?

Highlighted
Employee

You can disable the Change of Interest email by using ACTION_BY_CUSTOMER for all actions except for opting back in.  You can do this by first checking to see if the contact has a Do Not Mail status.  If it does, you would need to do an ACTION_BY_CONTACT which would be the only situation where the Change of Interest email would be sent.

Thanks,

Matt R.
Support Engineer, Constant Contact
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I may go that route to minimize the change of interest emails and see if the client is OK with it.

On the other hand, is it possible to request a feature to be added to have setting options to enable/disable individual automated emails (such as the change of interest or welcome email)?

Highlighted

I'll pass that feedback on to our development team.  It is unlikely that we would add that type of feature as the ACTION_BY_CONTACT portion of the API allows for modifying the unsubscribe management.  Since this involves CAN-SPAM compliance (as well as many other international compliance laws from other countries we mail to), we have strict compliance regulations on how we must manage these requests.  For these reasons, we may not be able to add that feature to our API.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the response.

I agree with what you said.  The request here is more on the account management side instead of API I suppose.  It's to add a feature so a constantcontact account can disable the change of interest email as a customization option.

Hopefully this shouldn't have anything to do with spam regulations since it's actually reducing emails sent to the contacts.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I'm now looking into your recommendation and will do a check on the contact to see if the user is in the Do Not Mail list.

I tried looking around but have not found an answer. How do you check if a contact is in the Do Not Mail list?

Thanks

Highlighted

You can use our search by email feature to find the status of a Contact.  It will return an empty array if the contact doesn't exist at all.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured