The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

Is there a way to remove bounced emails through the API?

Highlighted

Is there a way to remove bounced emails through the API?

I have several email campaigns with just a few bounces (usually 1 or 2) per campaign. Is there a way to use the API to identify and remove the bounced emails?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Is there a way to remove bounced emails through the API?

Hello,

This can definitely be done through the API! If you're using one of our SDKs, you should have the ability to get email tracking data (which includes bounce info) within the SDK, and you can also read about how to get details on bounces from the API here: http://developer.constantcontact.com/docs/campaign-tracking/bounce-activities-collection.html

Once you know which contact bounced, you can take actions on that contact using the individual contact endpoint documented here: http://developer.constantcontact.com/docs/contacts-api/contacts-resource.html?method=GET

If there's any additional information that I can provide, please let me know!

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Highlighted
Established Member

We are looking to do a bulk update to REMOVE a number of contacts from one or more lists. Has anyone created and shared a way to do this ? We have a list of contacts which had quite a few bounces that Constant Contact lists as Recommended for removal. It would take a lot of time to go into each contact record one at a time and click on the Remove Emails button. Can we select multiple contact records in Constant Contact and remove all of them from a given list? Or even from multiple lists?

And on a related note, is there a way to mark these Constant Contact records so that when Constant Contact and DonorPerfect Online sync at midnight, these email addresses do not get added once again to the same Constant Contact list from which they were removed?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hello,

You can bulk remove emails using the small box at the top of the list to select all contacts that match the category (recommended for removal in this case), and then take an action such as removing the emails. Here's a screenshot showing that:

Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 9.29.38 AM.png

Regarding the DonorPerfect integration, I believe the only way to prevent them from being re-added is to instead mark these emails as unsubscribed, rather than removing them. It is important to mention that unsubscribing emails must be done one-at-a-time as it is non-reversible and it would be too easy to accidentally unsubscribe large groups if a bulk option was available.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured