The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

Join My list | Welcome | Autoresponder | Loyalty Program

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Join My list | Welcome | Autoresponder | Loyalty Program

Hello,

We are initiating a new Loyalty card for our company, and have used the API to create a 'register my Loyalty card' page, so that we can capture their email addresses and market to them separately from the rest of our CC lists. We wanted to create an auto-responder for just them, giving them an immediate e-coupon as a Thank You for regstering, but from what I've read online here, it looks like if they're already on some other CC list in our database, they'll not receive the auto-responder email.

Can this be confirmed?

Also, when reading about creating the autoresponder, at the top of the introductory page, it states that they'll also receive a Welcome email. If the Welcome email function is not turned on, they won't receive a Welcome email, correct? 

If we're unable to use auto-responder to email EVERY person that registers a loyalty card, is there a way to assign a welcome letter to a specific list, and not everyone?

Basically, how can I <automatically> send everyone who registers a card (whether they're already in CC or not), and gets put into our Loyalty card email list, a 'Thank you for registering, and here is your e-coupon' for signing up for newsletters and for registering your card?

Thanks,

Becky

Becky
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Employee

Re: Join My list | Welcome | Autoresponder | Loyalty Program

Hey Ral,

You can definitely do what you want to do with this but there may be some extra work involved.  The autoresponder works with some internal information such as an ID that is given to a contact.  The autoresponder reacts to when the contact was first created in the account.  So if you have an autorespodner set for 3 days and you add a contact to this list that was in another list for 20 days.  They would not get that 3 day email.  The way around this is to remove the contact and add them back to their corresponding lists.  Now as far as the welcome email is concerned, they would only get this if you set your OptInSource to ACTION_BY_CONTACT.  If you set it to ACTION_BY_CUSTOMER, everything will go on behind the curtain and everything would function as normal.  However, if the user has opted out of your newsletter and you program to use ACTION_BY_CUSTOMER they will get a 403 error stating that this user has opted out from your list.  You can obviously hide that error from your contact but it would not add them back into your account.  By removing the contact, and adding it back you are resetting this subscriber date and thus making sure they get this autoresponder email. 

On another note, you only get one autoresponder and one welcome email.  You can select which lists get your autoresponder but they will all get the same autorespodner.  The welcome email will get sent out anytime ACTION_BY_CONTACT is used. 

Please let me know if this helps.

Ryan Davis
Quality Engineer
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Ryan,

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm following you a little bit, but I'm not really sure. For instance the ACTION_BY_CONTACT and ACTION_BY_CUSTOMER must be something in the API? I don't have anything to do with the API;  I just know that our web developer used the API to help create our sign-up page. I'm simply the marketing manager for the company, who's helping to put the loyalty program together, and who uses CC for all of our e-newsletters. And I thought that CC would be a good collection point for our registrations, since we wanted to market to them through emails.

I understand the essence of the 403 error, and kind of wondered what would happen, as I knew that if you tried to sign up (again) for enewesletters, and were already  in there, flags were triggered, etc. It sounds like of convoluted to have to delete people from lists, and add them back in. The hope was to develop a simple system that was automated, so that I didn't have to monitor it -- we're hoping the Loyalty program takes off, but it's certainly not the only thing I have to take care of day-to-day -- it's really not feasible for me to delete and add people back in on a regular basis, and keep the flow of messaging constant. I know there will be times that I'm unable to 'monitor' it.

I'm wondering if our best solution might be to pick up a different enewsletter provider, for just our Loyalty program customers. I don't really want to do that, because we've had CC for several years, but it would certainly be a way to keep them separate from everybody else, and it wouldn't make a difference if they were already in our CC database.

Our developer got the API to work, to where they're put in their own 'Loyalty' list -- but I had no idea I wouldn't really be able to market to them in a somewhat automated way once they were in there. We both assumed we'd be able to use an autoresponder function, just to them, pretty easily. Guess we didn't do enough homework. <drat>

Becky

Becky
Highlighted
Employee

Hey Ral,

Your developer could certainly automate the process by using the logic I provided so you would not have to monitor this from day to day.  All it would do is follow this algorithm:

Search for contact (GET)
if(Contact exists)
Copy Contact to temp variable
remove contact (PUT)
add temp contact back to account (PUT)
else if(Contact does not exist)
Add contact to account (POST)

The most important thing for the developer to know is to set them to removed status and not do-not-mail as this would require the contact to opt them back in.  We have some great wrappers available in a variety of languages to help give the developer some leverage to get this done for you in a timely manner. 

I am sorry that it is not as simple as it seems and I just want to make sure things go as smoothly as possible for you.

Ryan Davis
Quality Engineer
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Ryan,

Thanks again for the quick response. We have our next meeting with the developer on Wednesday, and I'll pass this information along. If we follow this logic, will it then be an autoresponder email that I create for them?

Becky

Becky
Highlighted
Employee

Hey Ral,

Yes, you would create the autoresponder just like you normally would and assign it to the Loyalty list that you previously mentioned.

Ryan Davis
Quality Engineer
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Ryan,

You helped me in late October with some API info in getting a mailng list set up for a Loyalty Card program. We finally got the loyalty card program launched about two weeks ago, and already have more than 215 members on the email list. However, we seem be having some hit-and-miss problems with it, in that some of the previously-subscribed CC people are being removed from all lists, and not being added back in to anything -- not even the loyalty card list. The code you gave us was:

Search for contact (GET)
if(Contact exists)
Copy Contact to temp variable
remove contact (PUT)
add temp contact back to account (PUT)
else if(Contact does not exist)
Add contact to account (POST)

Our developer did some testing/troubleshooting on the matter, and this is part of her response:

...There is really no pattern that can be identified.  I've put a 2 second delay in the script just in case it is a timing issue.  I also thought it could be related to updating a record that was already on the Loyalty Card list, but I've added [my emal address] 5 times in a row, with different lists selected and it worked. There were a couple of times in all of my testing today (probably ran the script 50 times) when the subscriber was not re-added. One time the card number [a custom field we created] was updated but the lists were not updated. The exact same code worked later. Since it is unreliable with the same data, seems like it might be an issue with the Constant Contact server...

Below are some of the time stamps from some of the addresses that were affected. The first column is when they were entered/registered for the loyalty card (I.e. the time that they were moved from 'active' contacts to 'removed' contacts as we were registering them for the loyalty card, and adding them to the loyalty card mailing list). The second column is when they were initially added to our CC database. There doesn't seem to be any real pattern. Do you have any suggestions/ideas on what to do? Is there any other information from us that might to figure out what is going on?

Thanks for the help...we appreciate it.

Becky

1/9/2012 9:32 AM CST12/8/2008 3:08 PM CST
1/9/2012 11:29 AM CST6/5/2008 10:07 AM CDT
1/9/2012 5:10 PM CST6/5/2008 10:07 AM CDT
1/3/2012 10:57 AM CST6/5/2008 10:07 AM CDT
1/9/2012 1:53 PM CST9/20/2011 12:39 AM CDT
1/9/2012 3:01 PM CST6/5/2008 10:07 AM CDT
1/4/2012 12:22 PM CST6/5/2008 10:07 AM CDT
12/29/2011 2:25 PM CST12/8/2008 3:41 PM CST
1/7/2012 6:12 PM CST9/11/2011 10:03 PM CDT
Becky
Highlighted
Employee

Hey Ral,

Can you verify that you the Contacts were being updated by doing a PUT to their own Contact ID?  If so please send an email with an example to webservices@constantcontact.com.  If you can use the RESTclient and send an RCQ with the problem occurring it would be much easier to identify the solution.

Ryan Davis
Quality Engineer
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Ryan,

I'll pass this along, and get back to you -- thanks.

Becky

Becky
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured