The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

Made 2 forms to go to 2 lists... works but you can't have one email on both???

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Made 2 forms to go to 2 lists... works but you can't have one email on both???

I used CCSFG_0.0.3

works great.  I made 2 forms that work.  But when I posted my email to one, then tested on the other it didn't work.  They both go to different lists, so why would this happen??

any advice would be appreciated.

jr

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Employee

Re: Updating contacts in the CCSFG

Hello,

The reason this is not working for you is that the functionality of the Constant Contact Signup Form Generator does not allow contacts that are already signed up to the account, sign up again.

If a user is already in the account, even if they are on other lists, or even if they are on the Removed list or the Do not mail list, they are still considered a contact.

This actually is possible to do with our API's. When a contact already exists, they can be updated by doing a PUT call to the API, instead of a POST call. Our sample forms have some examples of this working. However, our Custom Signup Form does not yet have this ability built in.

If you have any questions regarding this please let me know.

Regards,

Benjamin Soder
NOC Analyst
Constant Contact
Highlighted
Occasional Participant

continued...

ok, so I'm using

<form id="ezsignup" name="ezsignup" method="post" action="/reminder/signup/index.php">

is this where I change it?  or do I change it in another file?

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

still lost.  I used the

still lost.  I used the Constant Contact Signup Form Generator

any idea what files I should modify?

Highlighted
Employee

Re: still lost. I used the

The Constant Contact Signup Form Generator (CCSFG) only has the ability to add a new contact to specified lists, and does not perform any updates as there would be nothing to prevent a user from updating another users information as long as they had their email address. This is functioning this way as designed to protect the integrity of the data submitted through any form generated with the CCSFG.

If you were to change the form action that you have, it would not change this fact as the form still needs to be submitted to a file that you uploaded with your CCSFG in order to handle the form and turn it into XML that Constant Contact can use to create a contact.

In order to have this form work the way you are looking for, you would need to create a function that checks to see if the contact already exists, if they do not, perform an http post to create the contact, otherwise perform an http put to that contacts URI to update them. This would require some programming knowledge if it is something you are interested in implementing. You do always have the option of using the sign-up form that is in your account under Contacts > Join My Mailing List. This will perform the check that you are looking for, allowing new subscribers to sign up and existing subscribers to update their data.

David J

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Let me take a step back. You

Let me take a step back.

You are saying I have to change the form in order to check to see if an email exists...

My issue is that I have 2 forms that go to 2 different lists.  These work fine.  But the problem is that the same email cannot go on both lists, meaning once an email is in one list, it gets rejected for the other, even though it does not show up in the other list.

So I still need to do the xml thing for that?

Highlighted
Employee

Re: Let me take a step back. You

You can have the same email address on every list in your account if you want, and that will not cause a problem. The issue is that the action to 'create' a contact is a different action than the one that is used to 'update' a contact. While both of your sign up boxes go to different lists, these lists are part of the same account. This means that if you have a subscriber sign up through one form, when they try to sign up on the second form we're going to read that the contact already exists in your account which would prevent you from creating a new user with the same email address as an existing user.

The only way around this would be to update the existing contact and add another list to the contact lists that user is subscribed to. This is certainly possible to do, but we did not place this in the CCSFG as a means to prevent a subscriber from updating another subscriber's information. If you wanted to add the functionality to do a check to see if the contact exists you could do that, but it would require some knowledge in PHP to change the way the CCSFG currently functions.

We do have the Join My Mailing List signup form that you can access from our site, which I mentioned in my post earlier. This will allow new subscribers to be signed up as well as allow existing subscribers to update their information.

David J

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

wow, so there's no easy way

wow, so there's no easy way to do this.  I mean we are using this for 2 different brands, so a user may not know they are in the system.

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

just had a thought...  I

just had a thought...  I notice when the email is in, it displays the email error, and I think I saw where that code was.

and earlier you mentioned there is a form from constant contact that lets you edit your user info...

so maybe I create the form and in the error I have it link to that form since the odds are small that a user would want to be on both lists.

Highlighted
Employee

Re: Join My Mailing List Link

Hello,

I definetly apologize that there is not an easier way to do this without modifying the PHP code in the Signup Form Generator. At this time the CCSFG was not built for this functionality, but we have let the engineers know that there are customers who would like to see more options for customers that are already in the system.

If you would like to try to modify the messaging to include a link to a form that allows users to update their accounts to add themselves to a new list, the best way to do this without using our API's, would be to link them to your Join My Mailing List Link. This link normally will sign up a new user, but if a user is already in the account, it sends asks them their email address, and then sends them the Update Profile email.

You can find out how to get your Join My Mailing List link here. Also, if you would like to modify you Update Profile email, you can find it in the Contacts tab in your account, under the Join My Mailing List link.

If you have any other questions please feel free to let us know.

Regards,

Benjamin Soder
NOC Analyst
Constant Contact
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured