Between 8:00 - 9:00 am ET on 10/25 we need to take our site down to make updates. We recommend logging out before 8:00am ET and not using your account during this time. Thank you for your patience while we make these important updates.

Managing Bounces - Exporting Detail Information from bounced users... How to do it?

Occasional Participant

Managing Bounces - Exporting Detail Information from bounced users... How to do it?

My issue deals with managing the large number of bouces that my mailings produce. 

If you look under the email history section for any email sent, you see detail information about the past campaigns that were deliverd and how that email was interacted. 

Example: Whene then email was sent, its name, if it was opened and if it was clicked or forwared. 

I can not find any way to export this informaiton.  I can see if I reveiw each email that was bounced but this is too time consuming and being that this information is listed there should be some way to export.

My challenge is that if the last 3 email campaings were bounced but I have 15 campaings that were opend and clicked then this name is not a name to be set to "Do Not Mail".  is there any way to export by email address the bounces with the detail of Open's/Clicks/Forwards (by date)?

Does anyone have any informaiton on this?

Thanks.

asachs@cccalypso.com

6 REPLIES 6
Employee

Hello,

I do not think I fully understand what you are asking. It sounds like you would like to have a way to receive a list of bounces from a particular email, and then get the click/open/forward reporting information on those bounces. This is possible to do with our API's, however, bounces would not have clicks, opens, or forwards because they bounced.

If this is what you are looking for, I can show you how our API's can give you this functionality. You would first want to do a GET call to the Campaign EVent Bounces URI, which will give you a list of all of the bounces of a specific event. You would take those bounces from the XML and then do individual calls on each contacts campaign results. You can find more information about that here.

If this is not what you are looking for, please clarify and I should be able to help you further.

Regards,

Benjamin Soder
NOC Analyst
Constant Contact
Occasional Participant

Thanks for the response.  I have attached an image of what I am looking for from Constant Contact.

Here is the bounce history of one email:

Bounce History is maintained for 90 days.

Date Sent Email Name Email Address Error Type
8/11/2010 the “wear-now” sale continues abearts@cox.net Non-existent address
8/10/2010 ankasa sale: up to 40% off abearts@cox.net Non-existent address
8/6/2010 calypso loves the hamptons abearts@cox.net Non-existent address
8/5/2010 just landed: l’esprit bohème abearts@cox.net Non-existent address
8/4/2010 calypso cravings: pock-et to me abearts@cox.net Non-existent address

And here is the Email History for the same email address:

What you can see is that for the past 5 times emails have been going to this address they have bounced.  But they did get to this address in the past and there were opened and clicked.  I need some way to move the email addresses that are really bounced vs. ones that are still good.  (I would like not to move this address to "Do Not Mail" because there is still a potential for revenue)

Is there some way to get something like this:  EmailAddress, Date Sent, Email Campaign, Open, Clicked, Forwards and EmailAddress, Bounced Date, Email Campaign?

This way I can truly see who should be removed from my lists.

Email History is maintained for 90 days.

Date Sent Email Name Opens Links Clicked Forwards
8/11/2010 the “wear-now” sale continues 0 0 0
8/10/2010 ankasa sale: up to 40% off 0 0 0
8/6/2010 calypso loves the hamptons 0 0 0
8/5/2010 just landed: l’esprit bohème 0 0 0
8/4/2010 calypso cravings: pock-et to me 0 0 0
7/30/2010 20% off sale online 2 0 0
7/28/2010 sea scalloped 2 0 0
7/22/2010 beach bombshell 1 0 0
7/21/2010 calypso cocktails: 20% off online July 21 8 0 0
7/19/2010 calypso cocktails: 20% off in-store 7/19 1 0 0
7/16/2010 “wear-now” summer sale: new styles added 1 0 0
7/15/2010 calypso loves the north fork 1 0 0
7/14/2010 celebrate bastille day 1 0 0
7/7/2010 calypso cravings: monet muse 1 0 0
7/6/2010 calypso cravings: introducing herbe d’été 2 0 0
7/1/2010 just landed: sous le soleil 1 1 0
6/24/2010 calypso cravings: holey guacamole 1 0 0
6/23/2010 calypso cocktails: 20% off online 1 0 0
6/21/2010 calypso cocktails: 20% off in-store 1 0 0
6/16/2010 calypso cravings: strap happy 1 1 0
6/9/2010 Copy of calypso cravings: base coat 0 0 0
6/4/2010 Hamptons Heritage 3 1 0

Employee

Hi,

It sounds like what you are asking for is what I had originally suggested. Using our API's, you can develop a script that can do this by following my steps above.

Let me know if you are running into any problems with this and I will try to assist you further.

Regards,

Benjamin Soder
NOC Analyst
Constant Contact
Occasional Participant

Hi,

Waht XML should I use to get all bounce back emails and to which URL?

Thanks.

Hey SuperC,

in orer to get the email addresses that bounced from a particular email that you sent you would do a GET to the following URI:

https://api.constantcontact.com/ws/customers/{UserName}/campaigns/{CampaignID}/events/bounces

This will return the XML that will contain a list of email addresses that bounced and it will give you the description as well.

Let me know if you need more help.

Thanks,

Ryan Davis
Quality Engineer
Employee

You also have the option of using the Contact Events Service. This will allow you to pull a specific set of events (sends, optouts, opens, clicks, forwards, bounces) for any particular contact by making a request to https://api.constantcontact.com/ws/customers/{user-name}/contacts/{contact-id{/events/{event-type}. This will return XML containing a list of that event type, organized by campaign. This would be the ideal way to pull specific reporting information for a contact across multiple emails. I hope this helps, please let us know if you have any other questions.

David J

Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page