cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Clarification on Parameter ActionByVisitor When Used With UpdateContact API - Version 2

SOLVED
Highlighted
Advisor

Need Clarification on Parameter ActionByVisitor When Used With UpdateContact API - Version 2

Using C# wrapper code. Specified UpdateContact([contact object], false). Received following exception message...

query.param.action_by.action_by_owner.forbidden:The contact can not be opted in using 'ACTION_BY_OWNER'.

I believe specifying action_by_visitor = true that I am saying that this change was requested by the client. Specifying false would mean that the change is being requested by the emailer (i.e., our organization).

Q1) Is my understanding of the action_by_visitor parameter correct?

Q2) Please clarify for me under what conditions when specifying action_by_visitor = true that this api call would be rejected.

Q3) Please clarify for me under what conditions when specifying action_by_visitor = false that this api call would be rejected.

2 REPLIES 2
Honored Contributor

Re: Need Clarification on Parameter ActionByVisitor When Used With UpdateContact API - Version 2

Hi Mike,

Here's some answers for you:

Q1) Yes, your understanding is correct.

Q2) When the action is being taken by the visitor, the only time it would be rejected is if you were to send the contact with no list memberships. This action indicates the contact wishes to remove themselves from all lists(Which is considered an Opt-out in our system), and PUT is the wrong action to accomplish this.

Q3) When the action is taken by the owner(Constant Contact Customer), there are a two cases where this can be rejected:

1. If the contact is opted out, the account owner is not allowed to be added to any lists.
  2. If the contact's email address is Confirmed, then the account owner cannot change the email address. This case is primarily applicable to accounts that make use of our Confirmed Opt-in tools.

Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Honored Contributor

Re: Need Clarification on Parameter ActionByVisitor When Used With UpdateContact API - Version 2

Quick reply to note that I mistyped the answer to the 3rd question, which is when action_by_visitor is false. I corrected the error so that the answer is a bit more clear.

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer