The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

Need Help Starting with API

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Need Help Starting with API

Hi Guys

I am a new user to CC, and want to set up various autoresponders and messages for our company.

However, I maintain several company web sites and will require different forms for different purposes. But I hear that you can only have one form in CC, but having multiple forms can be achieved via API.

Unfortunately, I have no real clue about API so I am wondering if the is a VERY-EASY-TO-UNDERSTAND tutorial kicking around that would help me get started.

I have several third party programs that I can create a form in. If I was to use the import via HTML method, would that give me access to more forms or would I still only be able to have one.

Regards

Derob

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: Need Help Starting with API

Hey Derob,

It will definitely depend on what programming language you're using, but we have some sample forms and libraries that you may find useful. The sample forms are quick, working version of simple signups, and the libraries are put together to make all the back-end work easier. The documentation for each form and library is contained in the same file as the code.

Also, if you're using PHP, we have a signup form generator that you can upload to your site, and it will configure and install itself.

We're here to help troubleshoot your code, should you encounter any errors, both on the developer forums and at webservices@constantcontact.com (for any code containing sensitive information that you don't want to be posted publicly).

Nick Galbraith
Support Engineer
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for that info, Nick. I am sure it'll help a bit.

The third party programs I have are Dreamweaver, Essentials 4, Front Page, Xsite pro which all spit out my forms in HTML..

Unless there is an very easy guide to using API, I think I would just prefer to create my own forms and import them in via html copy & paste.

The signup form generator looks pretty bland to me. I don't know PHP at all so I would have a job editing those php forms.

Derob

Highlighted

For security reasons, we don't allow normal POST methods that HTML forms use to directly access your contacts. This would require some programming, or using our generated form.

This is something we're looking to change in the long-term (allowing JMML forms to be customized better through the account), but as of right now, it does require a bit of programming knowledge. I would suggest checking the Marketplace to see if any of our partnered developers would be able to help get your site integrated.

Nick Galbraith
Support Engineer
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Nick

Would it be possible to copy & paste the HTML in to a form without the form command line - just the basic code for the fields etc.

Also, do you know of a easy to understand tutorial for API - Anyone?

Thanks

Derob

Highlighted

Before you dig to far into this, wanted to make sure you understand that even with the API you can only have a single AutoResponder series for your account.  So, even if you set up multiple signup forms, everyone would receive the exact same AutoResponder series.  The only way to use Constant Contact and acheive different AutoResponders would be to set up multiple accounts for each purpose, which is likely not what you're looking to do.

If multiple AutoResponders isn't an issue, I would recommend either using our php signup form generator and skinning the HTML of the form (once the form is generated, it is just standard HTML that you can use all of your CSS skills to customize) or working with a web developer who can make the custom forms for you.  If you're familiar with HTML/CSS and know how to Dreamweaver, the first option is likely right up your alley.  All of the API code is done for you and all you need to do is make the HTML form look the way you want.

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Dave, for the explanations. They seem to make sense now.

What I really want to do is have more than one Contact Us form because I take care of many clients' sites, and each form would be different of course.

Are you saying that I cannot have a form for each of my clients to put on their various web sites, and I can only store one form in my account?

If I used FormGenerator, I can easily style it myself, but is it the only form I can have on CC, would I have to just a separate one each time I wanted to use a different one.

I have been told that in API I can have as many forms as I want. Do you have anything on that, Dave.

I have a sneaking feeling I have an account cancellation in my future. <haha>

Thanks again.

Derob

Highlighted

Hi Derob,

Sorry for the confusion. Specifically, Dave was mentioning that our API won't be a replacement for Autoresponder emails. You can have as many forms as you like (running a fresh setup of the CCSFG will allow you to reset accounts and fields). It's the action of sending the autoresponders that cannot be altered through API calls.

Nick Galbraith
Support Engineer
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured