The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

Need a unique identifier for the CC account

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Need a unique identifier for the CC account

I think I know the answer to this question already, but I need to ask it nonetheless.

Our system is making a request to https://api.constantcontact.com/v2/account/info to get back information about the account. However, there is no unique identifier for that account (i.e., GUID, integer value, etc.). This is very problematic for us because our users may be accessing the same CC account, or may be authenticated into their own CC account. We apparently can't do account-level processing or rollups because our system doesn't know which CC account each user belongs to.

So I suppose the question is, do you have any workaround for us, or do you have this api feature enhancment (give account identifier in the JSON response) on your development backlog?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Need a unique identifier for the CC account

Here's some info for your questions:

1. It's not possible for an individual user to get a list of all usernames in the account through the API. Presently this can only be done by logging into the UI as the account owner. The API can only give you the current username.
  2. All three have completely unique identifiers that are assigned upon creation.

It is important to note that there is a minor exception for contacts and lists that were created in accounts that existed prior to the release of our current contact managment platform. Contacts/lists that were created before the transition are allowed to retain their old IDs for APi purposes (so as to not break any existing integrations at the time) and those old IDs are not guaranteed to be unique. One easy way to recognize this is that unique IDs will always have at least 10 digits. Here is an example: 1784341435.

If there is any additional info that I can provide, please let me know!

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hello,

While it's not possible to get a unique account ID, it is possible to get the username that was used to create your access token at any time by calling this endpoint:

http://developer.constantcontact.com/docs/authentication/access-token-info.html

You can also store the username associated with an Access Token when it is provided along with the token at the end of the OAuth flow. However, if you're looking to do special processing when there are actions from multiple unique users in the same Constant Contact account, there's not currently a method available to get an identifier for the account other than the username. I also checked to be sure and there is not currently a plan to expose a separate identifier from the username for identifying an account.

Would it be possible for you to decribe the use-case for how you would use an account ID rather than a username?

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Your feedback is appreciated, but please help me understand the following:

1) I don't see any way (through the api) to get a list of usernames for an account. Can you confirm whether this is possible or not?

2) Are IDs (such as contact Id, campaign Id, contact list Id, etc.) unique across the entire Constant Contact system? Or only guaranteed to be unique within the account?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Here's some info for your questions:

1. It's not possible for an individual user to get a list of all usernames in the account through the API. Presently this can only be done by logging into the UI as the account owner. The API can only give you the current username.
  2. All three have completely unique identifiers that are assigned upon creation.

It is important to note that there is a minor exception for contacts and lists that were created in accounts that existed prior to the release of our current contact managment platform. Contacts/lists that were created before the transition are allowed to retain their old IDs for APi purposes (so as to not break any existing integrations at the time) and those old IDs are not guaranteed to be unique. One easy way to recognize this is that unique IDs will always have at least 10 digits. Here is an example: 1784341435.

If there is any additional info that I can provide, please let me know!

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Visitor

Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but thanks nonetheless. Regarding your point about "Contacts/lists that were created before the transition" -- can you tell me when (year or month/year) this "transition" occurred? Just trying to understand how far back this goes and whether we will have any problems with our existing clients or future clients.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Regarding the transition, it's not possible to give an explicit date because it was a rolling transition that happened over the course of many months. However, the majority of users (>90%) would have all been transitioned by July 2014. It is important to note that even for accounts that were transitioned to the new system, all new data created after the transition will have unique identifiers.

In terms if using items such as contacts or lists as a way to identify a given account, you could do the same by creating a new List with a specific name if it does not already exist. Since the list is new, it would be guaranteed to have a unique ID.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured