Newbie needs help - Custom Mailing List Signup form

Occasional Participant

Newbie needs help - Custom Mailing List Signup form

Hi all,

I'm trying to build 2 custom forms for our mailing lists. I'd really like them to look identical (except for verbage, logo, and color) to the following:

http://visitor.constantcontact.com/manage/optin?v=001DHL4fuLXGfn5wS_3yi404li_BIVS2vVrW3X7pF72d0R2xaq...

I'm at a loss as to one of the input fields I'm finding in the source for this page, namely:

<input id="subscriberProfile.visitorParams"> - What value to put in for this hidden field... API key?

also, the <form tag>, <form id="addForm" action="/manage/optin?v=001DHL4fuLXGfn5wS_3yi404qulqlr9iqtcmXlddgLP9Kk%3D" method="post">

What value do I want for "v="?

Many thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Employee

It looks like you are modifying the provided Join My Mailing List form that is available inside your Constant Contact account, which is not going to have the desired effect that you are looking for.

If you are looking to have a custom sign up form, I would strongly recommend taking a look at the Constant Contact Signup Form Generator (CCSFG) which can build a highly customized form for you without having any programming experience. I would also recommend taking a look at our sample codes page, which will provide example forms in C#, PHP, and ColdFusion.

Finally, if you are looking to do this from scratch, our documentation for Creating a Contact can help explain how to create a contact in our system from scratch. While this method will take the most up-front work, it will also provide the most customizablity possible.

If you have any other questions or concerns regarding this, please feel free to reply to this post and we will be happy to help.

David J

Occasional Participant

Thanks...

I've looked at both resources, and still can't figure out where my API key goes & how the collected contact info gets to the proper mailing list. If I use the generator and copy the basic layout of the provided form (which I put in the link prior post), substituting the generated form fields for what's in the provided form, will that work? I basically want the same layout, and to have the info go to the right mailing list.

Employee

Hello,

When using the Sample PHP code, you would put your API key in the cc_class.php file on line 15.

The way you pass the data you receive into our system and add the contact to a list can be found here.  You must collect the data and then put it into an XML file that is exactly like the XML found in that link.

You will notice that the XML has an element called ContactList. This has an id that gives a URI for a specific list. You can get your collection of lists by performing a GET on the List Collection API, or you can use 1 which is generally the General Interest List.

I am not fully sure what you mean in regards to the Sign up form Generator, but you can modify styles of the generator page to look any way you would like, and even try to make it look like our Join My Mailing List form; however, you must keep the actual form area with the specific ID's exactly the way they are for the form to work properly.

If you have any other questions please feel free to let me know!

Regards,

Benjamin Soder
NOC Analyst
Constant Contact
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page