The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

Not able to export custom fields in bulk export csv

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Not able to export custom fields in bulk export csv

Hi,

I have a contact list in which contacts have some custom fields. I followed the Bulk activities -  Export Contacts to CSV documentaion to fetch the csv file but the csv file doesn't have custom fields data. 

I am able to get custom fields in the export csv file using UI.

CSV file content from UI:

First name Last name Company Job title Email address - home Email status Email permission status Confirmed Opt-in Date Area HK1 Date Of Work HK2 Tags Email Lists Source Name Created At Updated At
Hemant Gupta com jobtitle hemantg5678@gmail.com Active Implied abc xyz HKTest Added by you 2014-08-14 11:18:06 -0400 2014-08-14 11:18:06 -0400

CSV file content from bulk export API:

Email Address,Date Added,Added By,First Name,Middle Name,Last Name,Job Title,Company Name,Work Phone,Home Phone,Address Line 1,Address Line 2,Address Line 3,City,US State/CA Province,Country,Zip/Postal Code,Custom field 1,Custom field 2,Custom field 3,Custom field 4,Custom field 5,Custom field 6,Custom field 7,Custom field 8,Custom field 9,Custom field 10,Custom field 11,Custom field 12,Custom field 13,Custom field 14,Custom field 15
"hemantg5678@gmail.com",8/14/2014 3:18 PM EDT,Site owner,"Hemant",,"Gupta","jobtitle","com",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I have given below json in the request to create activity:

{
"file_type":"CSV",
"sort_by":"EMAIL_ADDRESS",
"export_date_added":true,
"export_added_by":true,
"lists":[
"1021814362"
],
"column_names": [
"Email",
"First Name",
"Middle Name",
"Last Name",
"Job Title",
"Company Name",
"Work Phone",
"Home Phone",
"Address Line 1",
"Address Line 2",
"Address Line 3",
"City",
"US State/CA Province",
"Country",
"Zip/Postal Code",
"Custom field 1",
"Custom field 2",
"Custom field 3",
"Custom field 4",
"Custom field 5",
"Custom field 6",
"Custom field 7",
"Custom field 8",
"Custom field 9",
"Custom field 10",
"Custom field 11",
"Custom field 12",
"Custom field 13",
"Custom field 14",
"Custom field 15"
]
}

Can some one let me know what is the issue here and how to get the custom fileds in csv by bulk activities?

Thanks,

Ravi

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Not able to export custom fields in bulk export csv

Hello Ravi,

After reviewing this, it appears that the reason you are having trouble with exporting these fields is due to the naming of your custom fields in Constant Contact. In order for the Constant Contact API to interact with your custom fields, they are required to follow this naming scheme: "Custom field nn", where nn is 1-15. If you were to create a new custom field in Constant Contact called Custom field 1 and populate information for that field, you would then be able to export that data using the API.

In addition, we are working on a series of internal upgrades that will allow us to make upgrades to our external APIs in the future so that we can allow for the use of custom fields that do not match the current limitation.

Best Regards,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured