The Community is hosting an End of Summer sweepstakes! Participants must complete tasks to earn tickets that will enter them with a chance to win a free year of Constant Contact and other great prizes!*
*No Purchase Necessary. For Official Rules, visit here. Constant Contact’s End of Summer 2020 Sweepstakes ends on October, 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM EST.

Passing parameters in URL from CC to my webpage

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Occasional Participant

Passing parameters in URL from CC to my webpage

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to pass multiple fields from an email to my web pages.  I've finding unusual and inconsistent behavior.

I would like to pass the $Subscriber.email$ and $Subscriber.FirstName$ to my page.  When I add the "?email=$Subscriber.email$" to the hotlink in my email I am able to pass the information from either a text link or a button.  When I add "&name=$Subscriber.firstname$" to that same url I get different results from the text link than I do from the button link.  In one case [button linked] I get sent to a page with a url starting "http://r20.rs6.net/ http://etc.etc" where the second half of the url would be exactly what I'm expecting but it fails because it starts with "http://r20.rs6.net/ ".  The text link formats the url without the extra server reference but drops the second parameter.

Can you tell me what's going on and how to fix it?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Passing parameters in URL from CC to my webpage

Hello,

Based on what you've provided, I know for sure what the problem is with the button link. In that case, it is breaking because tracking is still active on the link, which does not work with dynamic URLs. If you are working within our UI editing experience, you should have the ability to edit a given link and remove the tracking, which should resolve the issue.

For the second issue where the additional first name parameter seems to be dropped, could you provide an example of the URL that you entered in the editor, and the resulting URL when you tested the links? With that information I should be able to give you some more precise answers about how to resolve the issue!

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Based on what you've provided, I know for sure what the problem is with the button link. In that case, it is breaking because tracking is still active on the link, which does not work with dynamic URLs. If you are working within our UI editing experience, you should have the ability to edit a given link and remove the tracking, which should resolve the issue.

For the second issue where the additional first name parameter seems to be dropped, could you provide an example of the URL that you entered in the editor, and the resulting URL when you tested the links? With that information I should be able to give you some more precise answers about how to resolve the issue!

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Occasional Participant

That seems to have fixed both problems.  (It's also possible that there was some typo in my text link that I corrected when I turned tracking off.)

Thanks! 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Glad to hear that you've got it sorted out! If you run into further issues, please feel free to reach out to our team!

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Highlighted
Occasional Participant

One last question.

What am I losing when I turn Tracking OFF?  Do I bypass open/click statistics? 

Thanks again for your help.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

When tracking is off, it is not possible to collect click tracking when a recipient clicks on that link. While we have a number of other methods that we use to track opens, click tracking is one of the possible ways that an open can be tracked. As such, open tracking should as a rule be just as effective as before you disabled tracking for these links.

If I can provide any more information, please let me know!

Sincerely,

Elijah G.
API Support Engineer
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page

Constant Contact 2020 End of Summer Community Sweepstakes!

The Constant Contact User Community is hosting a sweepstakes. The more you participate, the more chances you have to win! Read on to learn more...

Read More
Featured