We all started somewhere! Share your experience on the Get Advice: Let's Get Started Sweepstakes thread and be entered to win a $100 credit on your Constant Contact account.

Problem with getContactDetails and updateContact methods using API

SOLVED
Go to solution
HarikaR54
Regular Participant

Problem with getContactDetails and updateContact methods using API

Hi,

We have integrated CC API into an APP to send emails by using PHP wrapper class. This was working fine before and since the account is migrated to new platform this is giving errors and causing issues.

In this App we will be creating a new list, add contacts to the list, select this new list add campaign and schedule the campaign using API.

In the above process to add a contact to the list, we first check if the contact already exists in CC account using searchContactsByEmail method.

If contact doesn't exist we will add the new contact to the newly created list  (addContact method)
If the contact already exists then we will gets all other old lists for this contact using getContactDetails method and updates the contact details with the new list id along with all other old lists and other contact details (custom fields, first_name...) (updateContact Method)

While updating the contact into the new lists and the old lists the API is giving the error "list does not exist". This was not happening earlier.

While the API is gets the old lists linked to the contact it is also getting the lists which have been deleted. (So it appears to me if there is an error with the API which is returning the deleted lists along with the contact details. This is happening only for few contacts).

When I login to CC interface and check the lists associated with the contact, it is not showing up the deleted list there. But it is returning this deleted list while the API is retrieving the contact details.

Finally updating the contact to the new list is giving error and if the new list is empty. Scheduling the campaign gives an error as there are no contacts to send and all such messages will be piled up as drafts in CC.

I am having this problem since CC migrated to new platform.

Our App has stopped working. Can you please get me the solution ASAP to fix this issue and get our App running smoothly.

Thanks,

Harika

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DaveBerard

Hi Harika,

Thanks for reporting this.  We had a bug which manifested in this way when deleting a list.  Basically, the list was deleted but the list membership associations were not.  We have fixed that issue so that no more data can be corrupted.   The workaround, unfortunately, is to remove any deleted lists from the Contact prior to updating them.  We know this is both challenging and not practical and are looking at a way to go through and find and fix the corrupted records.

Will update once I know more about the process to fix the data.  As of now, we don't have any estimate on when and how long it will take. 

Dave Berard
Senior Product Manager, Constant Contact

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
DaveBerard

Hi Harika,

Thanks for reporting this.  We had a bug which manifested in this way when deleting a list.  Basically, the list was deleted but the list membership associations were not.  We have fixed that issue so that no more data can be corrupted.   The workaround, unfortunately, is to remove any deleted lists from the Contact prior to updating them.  We know this is both challenging and not practical and are looking at a way to go through and find and fix the corrupted records.

Will update once I know more about the process to fix the data.  As of now, we don't have any estimate on when and how long it will take. 

Dave Berard

View solution in original post

HarikaR54
Regular Participant

Thank You Dave!

I was looking at the alternative for the old contacts. Is there any way I can delete the old contacts and re-add them in the account as new contacts to resolve this issue and make our App run.

Thanks,

Harika

The easiest way to do that is to go into the web UI, not the API, and select the Contact(s) you want to remove and click the "Delete" contact option.  This will basically clear all their list attributes but NOT permanently delete them.  Then, you can update them with whatever information you want and have a clean slate but you won't lose the historical information.

Dave Berard
HarikaR54
Regular Participant

Thank You Dave!

I will try doing this.

HarikaR54
Regular Participant

Hi Dave,

I have deleted all the contacts and tried as you mentioned.

But while updating the contact it is still fetching the deleted lists and is giving list not found error.

Please let me know if there is any other way to fix this. And any approximate estimation on when this issue will be fixed at your end.

Thanks,

Harika

I don't have any ETA on this but will check with the dev team that is in charge of the fix. 

Dave Berard
Developer Portal

View API documentation, code samples, get your API key.

Visit Page